•12•

I am so shit at updating I'm so sorry
(Unedited)

•••

Will

Johnathan cautiously opened the front door when he and his younger brother arrived home, cautiously because of the cop car parked out front.
"Mom? We're home." Johnathan called, though the over all sentence sounded more like a question, worry laced in his voice. Will followed precariously behind his older brother, both hands gripping the bag straps on his shoulders. The last time the two of them had had any police interaction was when they had to attend court to make statements against their father, which all ended up being pointless as Lonnie had not endured any punishment for his 'alleged' abuse towards his family.
What the two boys most definitely did not expect was to see their mother sat maybe a little too close to the obvious owner of the car laughing fondly, passing a lit cigarette to him.
"Hey boys!" She said as she noticed them, standing up from the couch. Johnathan looked wearily towards the cop who stood up from the couch too, looking after his mother, the same expression of fondness on his face.
"Who is that?" The older son asked bluntly, Will almost flinched at the harsh tone that the others appeared to be oblivious to.
"Oh- this is Hopper."she looked at him as he nodded towards Johnathan and then looked at Will, who shifted uncomfortably in the presence of another man with his mother. He could sense Johnathan was tense at this too. "He works in the police department- as you could tell- and he's the chief, isn't that cool Will?"
Will took his gaze off the stranger standing in his living room and set it on his mother instead, "Yeah, cool." He said, sounding rather unsure.
The four stood in silence for a few moments before the man that Joyce had called 'Hopper' broke it.
"I should probably get going now, it was good seeing you again Joyce." He put the cigarette out and picked up his hat, walking towards the door.
"You too Jim." Joyce said, retiring the smile he gave her.
The cop looked between Johnathan and Will again, before walking out the door and closing it calmly behind him.

The three Byers were stood in an uncomfortable silence as he drove off.

Johnathan cleared his throat, "So, do you know him? Or is he-"
"Yes, Johnathan, we went to high school together."
Johnathan raised his eyebrows at the statement.
"Oh don't look at me like that, it's -it's not like that, okay? He's my... friend. And a very good one at that. He's helped me through a lot."
Johnathan hesitantly nodded in understanding before going to kiss his mother on the cheek and walking to his bedroom to complete his essay on America's greatest presidents.
Will was left watching him go.

"How was school sweetie?" His mother asked, waking to the sink to put away some dishes.
"It was good, we learned some really cool stuff about blood in science today." Here we are again, Will Byers puts on the facade, something he's gotten so very used to doing these past few years, and though his is ashamed to admit, it's almost always for his family.

It causes pains in his chest, the sorts of pains that you get when something really terrible has just happened, and you know that there was watts to prevent it from happening but... you didn't, and it's as if its your fault. You caused the pain for you... for everyone.

"Really? Like what? Why it goes black when you turn into a zombie...?" She teased, to which Will smiled, a genuine smile.

"Mom, no." He faked an eye role.
"Hey, you, none of that teenager business okay? I don't want you to become such a Madame as Johnathan now." She whispered the last part, winking at Will.

"Mom!" He whisper-yelled back at her.

"Shh..." she placed a finger over her lips, winking at him again.
The both erupted in laughter.
Will felt that tiny spark of happiness flare up in his chest again, before it was quickly diminished after he remembered the events that really took place in science class, though he didn't let it show.