•15•

Mike

Mike was late. Oh he was so so late. He would blame that thing called insomnia as to the reason he didn't sleep- yet again. Ever since a certain brunette had came stumbling into his life his nights were plagued with a feeling of unease, buried deep within his chest and throat, enabling his eyes to remain closed for more than two minutes at a time (before he would be forced to let out a silent scream of frustration into his pillow). On the occasion he did manage to sleep, his rest was rudely interrupted by dreams about a certain green eyed boy that involved a little too much skin for Mike's liking. He would jolt up and allow his thoughts to go no further than focusing on the sound of his erratic breathing, and nothing else. Nope, definitely, absolutely nothing else.

The rhythm of his breathing was also what Mike was focusing on as he tripped into his art class that he was devastatingly late to.
Focus on your breath, not all of the judgmental teenagers staring at you in complete silence, the obvious question towards the reason his lateness floating, unspoken, loudly in the room.
He felt his face get hot as he walked towards the teacher, who glared at him from where she sat at her desk.

"Sorry that I'm late, uh it's just... it's the um, it's the anniversary of my grandmother's death so... yeah." the ebony haired boy forced out, it being the only excuse he could muster in his head.
The teacher gave him a look that he presumed was supposed to be warm, yet came across as more of a grimace and told him to sit down where he please. Mike let out a disgruntled sigh of relief. Well, at least he didn't need to worry about a detention on top of everything else.

Mike turned towards his peers and promptly ignored the sight of Dustin and Lucas staring at him with questioning looks. Next to them was Will.

Mike felt his chest clench and suddenly what little he ate for breakfast decided it wanted to make its way back up again. He quickly dumped his stuff on the desk nearest to him, ignoring the eyes burning into the back of his head.
What was that feeling?

When Mike looked at the boy it felt as if Satan himself had reached up from the bowels of Hell and crammed a searing fist blatantly into his stomach, and with his free hand decided to play some hellish tune upon his heart strings.

But... why?

Mike needed to see if it was a fluke or he knew that his mind would not venture any further than that sensation for the rest of the day. Swallowing, he turned to find the boy.

Their eyes met.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

A feeling of pure euphoria suddenly exploded through Mike's veins, coursing through his arteries at impossible speed and his heart began beating a bit too hard for Mike to believe that he wasn't about to go into cardiac arrest. But it wasn't a bad feeling. Not a bad feeling at all.

He held the brunette boys gaze for a little while longer before snapping out of it and turning back around, trying to ignore the sudden dampness of his hands and hot feeling across his cheeks.

Will Byers was truly going to be the death of him.

Will's pov

By the time the period had ended Will was sure he was going to have a nervous breakdown . For the remaining 15 minutes he blocked the whispers of Lucas and Dustin next to him. They were obviously talking about Mike and why he wouldn't sit with them, his two best friends that he had know for years. Literal years.

But not Will. He wouldn't want to sit next to Will, who he had known for hardly a week. Hardly a week, and Will was ruining everything for everyone. As usual.

He couldn't blame him though, if Will were Mike, he wouldn't want to sit next to him either.

The three boys watched Mike speed walk down the corridor, away from them, not bothering to wait as he rushed to second period.

All your fault the voice reminded Will, as he stared after the lonesome figure retreating down the hall.

"Unbelievable." Lucas muttered from Will's left.
"Man he's been acting real weird recently. Must be on his man period."
"Dustin, that's not physically possible."
"Oh my God- it's an expression! Jheez dude learn to take a joke once in a while."
"I'll learn to take a joke, when you learn to stop killing all my brain cells every two seconds with your dumb 'expressions'!" Lucas shot back at the toothless boy, his arms crossed defensively.
"What? Well aren't you one to talk especially after what happened yesterday-" their bickering was interrupted by Will slapping his small hands over both of their mouths, a sudden and unexpected action from the timid boy.

"Guys! Shut up!" The brown haired boy said with his eyes squeezed shut.

Lucas pulled Will's hand from his mouth, "Okay, okay! Warn a guy, would ya?"

Will grimaced when he felt Dustin's tongue across his palm and quickly retracted it.

"We've got biology." Will said, and walked away from the two dumbfounded teens, who stared as yet another one of their friends left them stood in the hallway in utter disbelief.

"Shortie's got an attitude huh." Dustin said.

"Mm-hm" Lucas replied, his eyes still trained on said 'shortie'.

•••

Hey guys, uh idk if you are all still alive?? It's been like, what, nine months?? Or more??? I am sorry I haven't kept track SORRY!!!! But coming on here after such a long time and seeing the chunky number of notifications I've got really made me happy and think 'wtf people still like 12 year old me's crappy writing'. I'm not sure if I will actually keep updating this but by impulse I logged back in and saw this draft and I HAD TO DO IT if it were the last thing I ever did. This chapter is short and gross but i just wanted an excuse to say hello, I have awakened from hibernation and no, I am not dead, thank you.

But yeah wtf doe thank u for all the support I love u all