CHAPTER 2: The Carousel

Twenty minutes later, I stood in the carnival, Mum on my left and Dad on my right. They were looking around in joy and constantly glancing at my face for any signs of appreciation at their thoughtful present.

Thing is, it wasn't that hard to appreciate it.

Once I was there, the atmosphere ... well, it was extremely joyous, to say the least. There were hundreds of people milling around, food stands and waiting lines for rollercoasters and rides. Children stuffed candy floss eagerly into their salivating mouths like starving lions and screamed in either pure fear or pure joy when the rollercoaster zoomed down at a near vertical gradient.

The music made the ground vibrate as the cheery carnival music echoed around the vast grounds and reverberated in my ears. I couldn't explain the effect it had on me ... but it was strangely good. It sucked the anxiety out and replaced it with excitement — something I hadn't felt in a while.

"Do ... you like it?" Dad hesitantly asked with a hopeful smile. A grin split my face, to their utter surprise, and I replied, "Actually, yes. I really do." And I meant it.

My parents gasped in joy and looked at each other with wide eyes. I hadn't been happy since ... well ... he came for me. Again.

"We're so glad you like it!" Mum squealed, almost bursting at the seams with triumphant happiness. I flashed a smile at her, egging her on. She tried so hard to make me happy and it hadn't worked — until now.

"Well, honey, we're hungry so we're going to one of the food stands. I heard they make excellent crepes," Dad laughed, winking and handing me a wad of cash. "Be good!"

"I will! I answered, already bounding off to the right, my eyes fixed on something that I've loved since I was a child.

***

Pastel paint colours swirled in aesthetic patterns on the carousel horses. They were sustained in the air by a twisting golden rod which was attached to their heads, connecting them to the top of the carousel. Lights flashed to the music and I felt myself relax.

He couldn't get to me here. I was safe.

Ignoring the strange stares I received from the parents of children, I payed and with a small smile, stepped onto the carousel platform and got onto one of the horses. Within seconds, the other horses were filled with children.

It started spinning. Slow at first, then faster and faster. The parents casually talking, waiting for the ride to finish, turned into a blur, as did the stalls, rides and everything else around me. I laughed aloud as my hair flew back in the wind, realising with a happy jolt that the carousel music was one of my favourite songs.

"Round and round like a horse on a carousel,
We go,
Will I catch up to love? I can never tell..."

Suddenly I noticed that the carousel was spinning very fast. Too fast. It wasn't normal; there weren't even any seatbelts to prevent any accidents. I tightened my hold on the rod and told myself to calm down. It was a carousel for God's sake; nothing was going to happen.

I ignored my mind which whispered, That's what they all say.

"Chasing after you is like a fairytale,
But I
Feel like I'm glued on tight to this carousel..."

My hands gripped the golden rod, hanging on for my life as the carousel spun faster still. My anxiety was back, full-blown — now fear added to it. I was going to fly off! I gasped for breath and hung on so tight that my knuckles were stark white and as the carousel spun faster, my body was thrown off the horse and I would have been flung off if not for my hands staying attached to the rod.

"STOP!" I screamed, choking words out of my mouth. "STOP THE RIDE!"

The wind flew into my eyes with so much force I was crying — I closed my eyes — I focused on my hands and keeping them stuck to the rod — I tried to get my footing back on to the horse — it worked and I hugged the horse with my knees so I didn't fly off of it again —

To my surprise, the carousel was slowing. After a few seconds, it stopped, and, gasping for breath, I opened my eyes.

I froze.

Everyone around me, the children, parents, people running the rides —

They were gone.

A/N:

OOOO, spooky. If you're spooked, vote and tell me how spooked you are in comments. I hope to see some nightmarish spoopy shit.