CHAPTER 42: Missing the Missing

"Should we try to find her ourselves?"

Xander smirked at this bold question and Corina and Grace looked disbelievingly at Simon.

"What? It's just a harmless suggestion," he grumbled.

"The answer to your harmless suggestion," Xander replied, throwing a small smile at Simon, "is no. Because, if you think about it, how are four teenagers going to fare against the authorities and all their specialist equipment?"

Simon pouted, making Grace laugh. Simon tried not to look pleased with himself by looking away and fiddling with his hands.

"True," Corina added, "Plus, even if we tried, we'll probably end up with worse versions of what Xander has."

Simon sighed, running a hand through his messy hair. "I guess..." he trailed off sadly.

Grace's eyes softened. "They'll find her, don't worry," she said softly, looking at Simon, and then at the others, maintaining eye contact for a few seconds so they'd see that she believed her words. Gathering reassurance, they all became slightly more relaxed — but only slightly.

"I miss her," Corina admitted.

"Me too," Grace followed.

"Me three."

Xander took a few moments to reply, biting his lip in seemingly harmless hesitation — but they all knew it was because he was in the most pain out of all of them as he blamed himself for her kidnapping, and he found it difficult to admit that she was a part of his life now — a big one — though he'd survived only trusting a few before he'd met her. Taking a deep breath, he said quietly,

"Me four."

Simon smiled without a trace of happiness in his eyes, looking at his best friend. He knew how much Xander missed Karissa, though he tried to hide it — these three would always see through this facade.

"I wonder if she misses us too," Grace said sadly, and Corina hugged her.

No one voiced the thought that briefly flitted through their heads before they batted it out with force:

What if Karissa isn't even alive to miss us?

A/N

I guess, the question for us (the audience) isn't if she's alive ... but for how long.

A short little part. But don't worry. It's a double update. I wouldn't torture you guys like that.

I'm not Lorelei's devil, fortunately for you. Though I did create him. Does that make me worse...?

;)

Anyway, VOTE! Y'all be gettin reeeeal quiet now... one may suggest that you're already mourning for the characters you may lose. But will you lose them?

You can only vote to find out. And comment of course. I fucking love your comments. They give my dark, sad life a sliver of joy.

VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

Love you guys. Enjoy.

—deainlustris