CHAPTER 19: Grey-t Expectations

"Oh, look! It's darling Karissa!"

I groaned under my breath and turned, seeing Grey looking at me with a mischievous look in his eyes. But I was good at observing people and I could instantly see it was fake, and he was hiding his hostility. Well, I feel the same. Twat, I thought internally while smiling on the outside.

"Grey!" I exclaimed. "What a surprise."

My cheeks were hurting.

Grey expelled a tinkling laugh and caught up to me, throwing an arm around my shoulder. I tensed immediately and looked at it as if it were poison, but said nothing.

"Likewise," he replied. His dark skin glowed and I admired its clearness for a moment.

"So, I was wondering..." he began. Oh no. This couldn't be good.

"Uh huh," I signalled politely for him to continue while I was still uncomfortably aware of his hand on my shoulder.

"You wanna — uh — come out with me and a few people on the weekend?" It seemed suspiciously like he was forcing the words out and I narrowed my eyes at him as we walked. He didn't see, but I was highly hesitant of his ... whatever he was doing.

"You know, just a lil' thing," he added sweetly, turning to me. I immediately cleared my face of suspicion and conjured up a bright smile to which he grinned wider at.

"Uh... sounds cool, but I'm busy on the weekend," I said apologetically, shrugging, while simultaneously shrugging his hand off my shoulder. Smooth, I thought to myself — but my slickness was matched by his.

"No worries! Tell me when you're free and I'll coordinate everything! I want to spend time with you... you seem like a really — nice — person."

Creative adjective, I thought dryly. He was so fake I almost believed he was a Ken doll. Certainly had the looks for it.

"Sure!" I replied brightly. Maybe a bit too enthusiastic — but he didn't seem to catch on. His eyes glinted maliciously as he replied, "Perfect. See you at some point!" he laughed and walked away.

I stared after him, wondering what the hell that was about.

***

"Ugh, four lessons without you guys made me want to cry," Grace whined, taking bite of her sandwich at our lunch table.

As always, I sat at the end, Corina next to me and Grace next to her, Xander and Simon on the opposite and the other group of Populars filling the rest.

"Me too," Corina admitted, then said disgustedly, "You know that kid, what's his name, er... Derek! Or Dave?"

"Pick one, they both exist," Xander said, and we all laughed. Including me.

At this, Xander shot me a glance, his eyes surprised — but then an unreadable expression replaced it and he looked away. I looked at Simon, who was looking right back at me, and widened my eyes as if saying What should I do now?

He furrowed his eyebrows sternly and nodded once, tersely, signalling for me to try harder. I narrowed my eyes in disdain, but agreement.

"Let me guess, Derek or Dave tried to chat you up?" I asked Corina. Simon put his head in his hands and I shrugged apologetically. I wasn't good at this.

"Yeah!" Corina exclaimed like this was a crime. "He had the audacity to come up to me and —"

I gasped, interrupting her. "Let me guess," I said. "He ... asked you for a pencil?" I said in a hushed tone, earning a snort from Simon and a giggle from Grace — I risked a look at Xander — he looked like he was biting his cheeks.

Challenge accepted.

Corina, however was looking at me with a shocked look on her face. "How did you guess?" she growled, annoyed that she couldn't tell the story herself, making the four of us burst out laughing.

"Disgusting!" I announced. "Behead Dave with that very pencil —" I began menacingly, but was then interrupted.

"Karissa, honey! I was just searching for you!"

All smiles dropped and my face was taken over by a scowl. Xander, seeing this, immediately looked away to stop himself from laughing, and I bit back a smile.

"Yaaay," I deadpanned quietly, so the four of them started laughing again, including Xander. Then, turning around, I flashed up that fake smile from before and said, "Yes, Grey?"

I hoped he didn't catch the deadly sarcasm underneath. Or maybe I hoped he would.

"Is this Friday good? It isn't exactly classified as the weekend!" Grey expelled another melodically annoying laugh. "And I know you aren't busy, Grace told me!"

Turning around subtly, I gave Grace a small smile. But the four of them could easily see the daggers beneath and Grace mouthed 'sorry' between her wheezes.

"Of course! But as long as these four can come with me!" I said cheerfully, wiping the smiles of their faces.

"No! No, no, no, no," Corina murderously muttered under her breath. We all hated Grey but couldn't show it as he was one of those people who found any small drama and made it into a fistfight.

"I choose death," Xander murmured simply.

"Karissa," Simon said quietly, "I have never wanted to shove my spaghetti on your head more — which is saying something because I love my food and I also quite like your new hair colour —"

I didn't know how Grey was oblivious to their wild rejections, but his smile stayed on his sculptured face as he said brightly, "Great! I'll be expecting the five of you at Frankie and Benny's on Friday at 8pm sharp. Don't forget!" he laughed again and walked away.

Turning around victoriously, I met the deadly glares of the four of them.

"Cancel your plans for Friday," I said sweetly, and Simon chucked a single spaghetti at me, which I deftly caught in my mouth.

A/N:
This book isn't getting many reads. I would appreciate it if you few readers would vote and recommend this book! And comment. I'd like to know if you're enjoying it.

— dealinlustris