CHAPTER 50: A Flame Of Hope

***

He was going to kill them.

He was going to kill my friends because they made the police search again. I was right; they'd heard me shout. They were so close! This place must have been unbelievably well hidden.

But Lazarus wanted to end their lives. He was so fucking furious that he had had it up to the point where he'd take the lives of people that he hadn't targeted specifically to be his victims. And there was no doubt he'd make it painful.

My empty eyes sparked for the first time with something like determination.

I couldn't let this happen. He couldn't kill them; he wouldn't. This fate was meant for me only and they wouldn't fall under the same one.

I had to escape. Whether it led to an earlier death than he'd planned, I didn't care. At this point, who I was before was gone and all that was left was recklessness.

I took a massive, deep breath and curled my fists, the corners of my mouth curling up in a wicked smirk of my own. I was risking everything and I didn't even care. I was going to fucking ruin Lazarus once and for all.

He wouldn't touch my friends.

Standing up, I fought off the dizzy wave that threatened to engulf me, and looked around the cellar, which I had grown to loathe with an unbelievable amount of hatred, for anything I could use to help me —

And that's when I saw it.

And I froze. And my breathing became shallow. And my lungs inflated from so much elation at his stupid, stupid, mistake.

How did he make another mistake like this? How could he have possibly managed such a catastrophic error that would cost him his life?

I walked in slow steps towards the platform with all the vases of flowers and books, my eyes focussed on only one thing, not looking away even once for fear that it was just a hopeful illusion.

I picked it up, and held its small rectangular body in my hand almost delicately, my jagged nails reflected in the clean metal surface.

I softly clicked the lighter on, and watched with impossible fascination as the small flame sprung to life. The bright, flickering figure danced in front of my face, its yellow body reflected in my dark eyes.

He was going to realise soon, that he'd left such a beautifully valuable weapon in my room. He needed it to light his cigarettes, after all.

My fingers curled around the lighter protectively. It was my one-way ticket to freedom and I had to use it well. My face split into a grin so cruel it would have been worthy of Lazarus. I would take joy in seeing his skin and flesh and bone be reduced to ashes...

Because I was going to burn this whole fucking place to the ground.

A/N

WHAT'S UP MY FRIENDS

Tis me. I am back. Short part but don't worry, I'll release another one later today. :)

VOTE AND COMMENT! This book isn't getting as many reads as it used to, maybe it's cause my uploading schedule is kinda bad or maybe yall just don't like it anymore :(

Lmk in comments if you still like the book. I'm still writing so I hope you do! Your motivation fuels me. Please vote and comment.

Happy reading! AND STAY SAFE. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE LIKE THE STUPID TWATS THAT GO OUTSIDE

okie dokie that's it for now byeee

deainlustris