one

I poured the tequila for the woman sitting in front of me. "Here ya go, ma'am."

"Thank you." She sent me a drunken smile. "Do you work here often?"

"Yeah almost every night, at this time." I nodded, wiping the excess liquids that were left on the counter.

"That's good; maybe I can see you often?"

"I'll count on you for that." I smiled at her politely before turning around. "Alright man, I'm leaving early." I murmured as I walked over to my friend and fellow employee, Felix.

"Why are you leaving so soon? People are just comin' in!" He gestured to the people who entered in the club just now.

I ignored the noises coming from my surroundings. I took a glance at my watch and read the numbers 3:10. "My daughter's waiting for me. I gotta pay the nanny."

He chuckled, like it was amusing. "Alright then. I'll cover your shift."

I gave him my thanks and removed my waist apron, placing it on the hook plastered on the wall. I held onto my phone while strolling out of the club. I passed through the immense crowd then walked to my car. I drove out, now heading home. My mind always brought back to my daughter, wondering if the nanny made her happy, fed her, or tucked her in bed right. I knew it was stupid to think that she wouldn't, but I couldn't help it. I took full responsibility of her so my mind buzzed a mile a minute.

I parked in front of the flat and rushed inside. I shut the door quietly and turned to see Mrs. Williams coming back from the bedroom. "Hello, Harry."

Mrs. Williams was a 63-year old lady who I've grown up with when I was younger. Once I had Cherry, she insisted in taking care of her whenever I had work. And we've been through this routine ever since.

"Mrs. Williams," I softly whispered. "How's-"

"Cherry's doing fine. She fell asleep on the couch so I just tucked her in bed." She nodded with a reassuring smile. "She asked where you were, though."

"Alright." I said and dug in my pockets for the cash I was holding to pay her. I brought up the money but she refused, as always. "No no, you don't have to pay me." Her eyes crinkled and she shook her head.

"You sure?"

"Of course, I love taking care of Cherry. She's an angel."

That brought a smile to my face. "Thank you again, for literally everything. I couldn't have gone to work and back without you, Mrs. Williams."

"It's no problem. I should get going, I'll see you tomorrow."

I gave her a small hug. "Thanks." I lightly kissed her cheek. I walked near to the bedroom door and opened the knob but was interrupted by Mrs. William's voice.

"I'll actually be gone to go to my grandson's wedding in Paris, so I'll get my niece to take care of her. She's near your age." She informed quietly.

"Thanks for telling me. Have a nice trip." I waved her goodbye then walked inside the bedroom.

There she was, sleeping on the bed and cuddling her soft toy monkey around her arms. I headed into the bathroom and changed before getting on the bed, being careful. I turned over to Cherry's side, scooping her into my arms. She turned around and immediately held onto me as well. I lived for moments like this. I was glad to not sleep alone in the quiet house, but have company. Cherry wasn't just company, but my reason for living. Every night I couldn't be able to wait and cuddle close to her after work. I would never want to lose her, not like I lost the other best thing that happened to me.

She looked exactly like Lucille with her chesnut eyes, her wide smile, her crinkled nose as she giggled, and her light brown waves that would bounce on her shoulders. I wish I could protect her and love her in the best way I could. She was a precious gem that I've been given, and I knew not to give up on her.

She was all I had left.

And I loved her very much, with no words able to describe it.

I kissed her small forehead as I smiled, thankful for having to be her father. I murmured an "I love you" before drifting off to sleep until the next morning.