four

I didn't have work on Saturdays, so those were the only times I can fully play and bond with my daughter. I put her pink polka-dotted dress on her for our day at the zoo when she mumbled out Maria's name.

"What did you say, sweetie? I didn't hear you." I placed a hand on her waist and looked up at her chestnut colored eyes.

"Maria!" She smiled widely, jumping excitedly at her name.

"Um.." This was something new; even with Mrs. Williams she didn't ask to go with her. "Do you want Maria to come?"

"Yeah!!" She clapped with her hands. She was beaming and wanting Maria at the moment.

"Alright, I'll call her." I said and brought my phone out. I dialed Maria's number on my cell and waited for her to pick up. "Hey.. Are you busy? ... Oh it's just that Cherry wants you to come with us at the zoo... Is that alright?"

"Yeah, I'm free the whole day! I'll be right over." Maria laughed through the call. I did the same.

"Thank you, we'll see you soon." I murmured and hung up. "She'll be here, okay?" I hitched Cherry on my hip and kissed her rosy cheek. "Let's get a snack before we go."

I walked into the kitchen to grab her something to eat. I handed her a cookie as we waited for Maria to come in. She came in after a few minutes, fixing her hair and then waving at us. Cherry screamed all of a sudden and ran to hug Maria. I laughed and shook my head with a grin.

"Hi Cherry, I missed you!" Maria kneeled down and hugged Cherry tightly.

"I missed you too!" She smiled big. She didn't bother letting Maria go, having Maria chuckle lightly.

"Honey, you're squeezing her too tight." I pulled Cherry off her and smiled at Maria. "I'm sorry for inviting you at the last minute, Cherry really wanted to see you."

"That's totally fine with me. I don't mind seeing her again." She smiled. "Are we ready to go?"

"Yeah, of course." I held onto Cherry as we walked into my car. During the ride, Cherry and Maria talked while I listened. It was really nice seeing Cherry bond with other people. She was often shy when meeting someone she didn't know much.

Once we arrived, Cherry wanted to head straight to where the monkeys were. I put on my shades and glanced down, trying to find each exhibit in the map. "We have to walk this way," I pointed west. "They're all the way in the back."

"Monkeys!" Cherry walked over to Maria and reached her arms out, wanting Maria to carry her. She picked her up and we began walking.

It was as if Cherry wasn't bothered by Maria, but rather feeling comfortable around her presence. That was a first, so it concerned me. But I've seen the way Maria treated her and the thought brought me to a smile. Cherry seemed to like Maria very much, and I was okay with that.

Cherry's face would light up as we walked to an animal. She would wiggle out of my grasp and run, pressing her small hands against the protected glass. Maria stood beside Cherry to watch over her.

My arms were crossed as I watched them looking at a sea turtle. I was deep in thought about how Maria was only our temporary babysitter until Mrs. Williams comes back. I really hoped Cherry won't miss her too often.

"Daddy!" Cherry turned around to call out my name. I smiled at her voice and I walked over to her and Maria, bending down to Cherry's level.

"Yes, baby?" I clutched her waist.

"Look!" She pointed at the turtle, wonderstruck about the creature swimming in front of her.

"That's a sea turtle," I murmured close to her ear.