five

"Maria is here!" Cherry shouted out when the doorbell rang. I was washing the dishes when my daughter ran to the front door, going on her tiptoes to reach the knob.

I softly laughed and wiped my hands with a cloth before opening the door. Maria wore a blue plaid shirt and had her hair up in a ponytail, her pink lipstick making her look nice every time. "Hey there." She smiled at me, taking a step into the place.

"Hey." I smiled back and walked to the table to put my work apron on. "So how are you doing?" I asked quietly.

"I'm alright. I helped my aunt move into her new flat this morning so I'm a little exhausted." She laughed. "But taking care of Cherry for the night makes it better."

"Look, look!!" Cherry ran up to Maria and showed her the drawing she made of a unicorn, I believed.

"Is that a unicorn?" Maria bent down and held onto Cherry's sides.

"Uh huh," Cherry swiveled from side to side, smiling at her hard work.

"Aw, it's wonderful." Maria kissed her cheek.

I was glad to see Cherry enjoying Maria's company. She loved being with her. "Alright sweetheart, I'm going to see you later."

"Daddy..." She ran to me right after and pouted, her bottom lip jutting out in exaggeration.

I smiled at her and tickled her sides. I clutched her waist and kissed her cheek repeatedly to annoy the hell out of her. I couldn't get over how this bundle of joy was my daughter, and I wouldn't ever want to think if she wasn't.

"I love you, baby." I gave her a small kiss on her lips. "Stay safe with Maria, yeah? Don't cause trouble."

"I won't daddy, I love you!" She replied with her high-pitched voice, grinning.

I stood up and waved at Maria. "I'll be back soon."

"We'll be here." Her and Cherry waved goodbye when I left.

My shift went off easy today. I talked to some of the people there, but nothing interesting ever occurs. I was just excited to go home.

I parked my car on the curb and then made my way into the flat. Maria was picking up the toys that Cherry left over when I came in.

"You're here early." She chuckled.

"I am." I laughed and shut the door. "How's Cherry tonight?"

"She's doing fine, as always. I put her in bed not too long ago." Maria put the toys back into the box. "She asked to watch the stars, though."

"She did?"

"Yeah! You watch the stars with her right?"

I did. "I used to." I spoke like I was suddenly interested in gazing at them again, already walking out the door and sitting on the porch. I used to watch the stars with Cherry when Lucille was around.

Maria followed me and sat next to me. The both of us stared up at the starry sky. I said no words since I was in awe. As I looked at the sky, I suddenly remembered that it's the first time I have stargazed without Lucille. The moments we shared together almost every night made me shake my head in disbelief. I couldn't believe she's gone in what felt like a second of my life.

The silence later broke once Maria began to speak. "Are you alright?"

But I shouldn't be thinking about this now. Maria was beside me, and I didn't want to look and feel as if I was weak by the heart. I turned to her and made a smile on my lips. "Yeah, I'm good."

"You seem wonderstruck by the stars." She gestured at the sky, her smile gleaming from the bright moon.

"It's just so.. damn beautiful." I shrugged, my words failing to make sense. I laughed at myself. "Do you know what I mean?"

"I do. I've never seen anything like it."

"You've never gone stargazing?" I raised my eyebrows at her.

She instantly laughed at how serious I must have looked. "I haven't! Am I too late?"

I nodded. "Very. It's relaxing and enjoyable, really. Especially with music on, we can dance."

I could see that sweet smile on the edge of her lips. "Dance?"

I stood up and walked to the portable radio that was set on the porch, it not being played out loud in almost a year. I clicked onto a station once I turned it on. I couldn't think of a better song to dance to other than the Aerosmith song playing right now.

I then walked back to where Maria sat. I smiled as I held out a hand for her to hold. I pulled her up to her feet and close to me. She smiled back, her hand still holding mine while the other rested on my shoulder.

We both moved to the smooth music. I made myself look at her while we danced. I couldn't get over the fact at how beautiful she actually was.

What the hell was I saying?

I didn't know what was happening within me or what I was thinking of, but I just put all of my thoughts aside and raised my arm to twirl her around. Her smile made me go all crazy, and I couldn't stop from smiling with her.

She grinned like she never did before and even pretended to dip herself, in sync with the chorus. I laughed at her playful move. We slow danced on the grass, my hands unexpectedly ending up on her waist. She had her arms around my neck, her eyes now staring at mine. We were both tired from the long dance and just went for each other's arms.

My eyes trailed down at her lips. And for some reason, I desired in kissing them.

We stopped dancing for a moment, only to hear the song about to end. I had to do something, to let her know how I felt. Even I didn't understand what I was feeling.

"Daddy?" Cherry's voice echoed from inside. She must be awake.

I brought myself back to reality and answered my daughter. "I'll be right there, honey." I gave one more look at Maria before releasing my grip on her. I unwrapped my arms around her waist and walked back inside, my hands in my pockets.

There she was, standing in the middle of the living room and holding onto her plush monkey. "Why are you up, Cherry?" I asked softly, bending down to her level.

"I want.. I want you with me." She spoke out. Her eyes lit up when Maria came in behind me. "And Maria, too!"

Maria smiled. "I can't, Cherry. I have to go back home since it's late."

I turned around. "You're leaving?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I think I have to."

"I'll go outside with you," I told her. I let Cherry sit on the couch and promised to be back for her. I kissed her forehead before heading back out.

Maria and I walked to her car, loud crickets surrounding us. She turned around to look at me. "Thank you, for that dance."

I softly smiled. "It's my pleasure. I had fun."

"I did too." She blushed as she thought of the memory. I didn't leave her hanging, just like that. I leaned in to plant a kiss on her cheek. She looked adorable when she tucked a strand over her ear, a small giggle erupting from her lips. I let go and gave her another smile before backing away.

I watched her leave, making sure she left safely. I went inside again to see Cherry in front of me.

"Daddy, do you like Maria?" She wondered.

I was at a loss for words, myself. I didn't really know what I was feeling for Maria, but I made myself nod. "Yeah, I do."

"But what about mummy?" Her lips formed into a frown.

Author's Note:

So so so sorry I haven't posted in a while. But thank you for 1k ♥ Ugh I'm so happy :) Thank you so much! Tell me what you think of this story so far and what you want to happen :)

ily!

- Camille