two

"Daddy!" I heard her say from the bedroom. I smiled at hearing her voice as I made her and I breakfast in bed.

I walked into the bedroom again while I held a tray, which held cereal for me and porridge and fruit for Cherry.

She squealed when she saw the food ready. She stood up and jumped on the bed excitedly.

With Cherry being two-years old, I believed she was all but calm. "Careful, now." I laughed and placed the tray down.

I laid on the bed, helping to feed her.

"It's you, Cherry." I raised the cherries in front of her.

"Me!" She giggled and ate her cherries one by one.

I found it relaxing being beside her, making her laugh. She found everything amusing and happy- and that was what I wish to only give her. I wanted to protect her from the bad things in the world.

When we finished eating together, I lifted her up in my arms and set her on my stomach. I stared at her beauty while she played with my large hands, holding each of my fingers.

It seemed like yesterday when I learned to find out if she was a boy or girl, Lucille and I truly excited to finally raise a child of our own. I remembered freaking the hell out over the little things, especially when we couldn't find the perfect lamp to match with the crib and put on the bedside table. Lucille would continue talking to her as the nine months flew by and I remembered grinning at the sight.

I remembered kneeling in front of Lucille with her belly in full-view, lifting the hem of her shirt and leaning down to kiss her stomach. I even saw the baby-kick at that moment, making my eyes widen.

Those moments stuck to me, and I knew I wouldn't forget it. But all this time she was the only thing that could bring me to happiness. She could make me smile at any point and my love for her grew.

There have been times where I would want to put off my work and forget about the world, so I could come home and spend endless hours within her world instead.

She was my light in life, and I couldn't imagine a day without her.

Cherry's small hands found her way to my mouth, slowly lifting the corners to form a cheesy smile and making her giggle.

I quickly grabbed her hands before she pulled away and kissed them. "What do you want to do today?" I mumbled against her skin.

"I wanna play!" Cherry announced and bounced on my stomach anxiously.

"Play? Noo, it's too early for that." I playfully shut my eyes and went to pretend sleep, a smile still shown on my face.

"Daddy!!" She whined and laughed, wrapping her little arms around my neck to get my attention. She patted my cheeks to wake me up.

I deeply chuckled and opened my eyes for her. "Where exactly do you want to go?"

"Park!" She nodded eagerly, her smile not hard to notice.

I sat up and held her under my arms. "You don't want to snuggle or sleep longer?"

Cherry grinned and tried to push herself off to get away from me. She slowly climbed off the bed and ran out the door. I exaggeratedly groaned, but I was still smiling. She knew how to get me going. "Come back here!"

I gripped onto the plastic bag full of bread slices while I held onto Cherry with my other. She was pulling hard on my hand, leading me to the riverbank.

At this time of day, ducks were on the waters or waddling around us. I knelt down to hand Cherry a few bread slices that she could throw. Since it was a windy day, I tightened the hat on her head.

She threw the bread onto the grass and beamed when the ducks flew in to eat them. "Ducks!" She squealed and ran towards one particular duck, which unluckily flew into the water. I laughed.

This was how we spent our Fridays, a tradition we developed when Lucille was with us.

I didn't dare stop the streak. This was a closer way of being a true family again.

For the next half-hour I watched Cherry as she threw all the bread away to the ducks, the sun plastered on our faces in the summer heat.

I had my bartender attire on, getting ready for work. I had to wait for Mrs. William's niece to come in and meet her before leaving her with Cherry.

I opened the door once I heard two fluxed knocks.

She instantly smiled, politely waving. "Hi, I'm Maria."

I smiled back and shook her hand. "I'm Harry, pleasure to meet you. Come in." I invited her inside with a gesture of my hand.

She went in, taking a view of the full place. I shut the door quietly so I didn't interrupt Cherry as she watched her favorite tv show. I glanced over back at Maria. "Do you want anything to drink?"

"Oh no, I'm fine. Thanks." She tucked a small strand of her brown hair behind her ear and smiled.

I nodded. "So, did Mrs. Williams tell you what you're here for?"

"Yep, she mentioned me in taking care of your daughter while you work?"

"Yes. I have a note I've written earlier today about the schedule. I'll be right back." I spoke before walking into my bedroom. It took me a moment to remember where I placed the note but I found it on top of a notebook. I grabbed the note and walked back out.

"Alright, here's some notes over-" I stopped to see Maria already playing with Cherry and making her smile. Cherry babbled cutely about the show and pointed at the screen, while Maria mumbled a few words and chuckled right after. I couldn't help but watch for a moment at what was happening before my eyes and see how Cherry acted towards her.

I slowly smiled but then cleared my throat, back to reality. Maria stood back up and walked to me.

"Here's some notes of what Cherry likes to eat, what she can do to pass the time, and where things are around the flat. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give me a call." I pointed my number I wrote out for her on the note.

"Cherry?" She grew a smile. "Is that her real name?"

"Charlotte Dee is her full name, but my wife gave her the nickname Cherry because it was shorter." I mentioned softly, nodding.

"That's cute.."

"Yeah, it is." I lightly laughed. I walked over to Cherry and picked her up without her knowing. She immediately gasped and giggled when I blew a raspberry on her soft cheek. "Charlotte Dee, I love you so much.." I mumbled and hugged her tight in my arms.

"I love you, daddy!" She blurted and smiled widely at me.

"I love you more. I'll see you tonight." I pressed a small kiss to her lips and placed her down. I looked over at Maria once more before leaving and walking straight to my car.

Author's Note:

Hi :) I hope y'all are liking this so far! btw Charlotte Dee is a name dedicated to Dee, who I cared about so much. She was a good friend of mine and I wouldn't have been happier without her. She's in a better place, and this story is my dedication to her. 8.28.14.

Please vote and comment what you think :)

-Camille