Where It All Started

Camila POV

-"Please Dr.Lovato... what's wrong with my child?", My mother exclaimed frantic and desperate. "She never bruises up like this!"

-"Please Mrs. Cabello, try to remain calm. Her test results are on there way.  Why don't you sit down?", Dr.Lovato said calmly.

-"NO!  Don't touch me!  Just tell me what's wrong with her!", Sinu yelled

I was just sitting there on the chair. Looking at my mother practically screaming her head off  like a howler monkey. I didn't know what was going on. I mean I am only 6 years old after all. All I know was that I was with my best friend Dinah Jane playing in the park.

We were playing tag and I was running away from her. Till this boy thought it would hilarious to trip me. Luckily, Dinah was able to get a hold of me before I fell to the ground.

That's when my wrist bruised up. And it bruised up bad too. Dinah didn't even grab me hard. She's not that strong... I think.

We went back to our parents and as soon as my mom saw my wrist. She quickly went up to me and wanted all these answers.

Dinah explained the whole thing and my mom wasn't happy AT ALL.

We said goodbye to Dinah and her dad. Which was surprisingly in town. I haven't seen him in awhile so it was good to see him back. Dinah was  exstacted too. Obviously.

My mom rushed to the hospital to get my wrists checked.

-"Jesus all this rush because of some stupid bruise that popped up on my wrist?" I thought to myself 

And well now I'm here sitting in this surprisingly comfy chair. Just wanting to leave and be done with this hospital drama. Then I heard a few knocks on the door.

-"Here you go Dr.Lovato", a blond, tall nurse said and she handed my doctor a pink sheet that looked to be really important. "Good luck sharing this news. " She said before leaving the room.

That's when I got nervous.

-"What was that suppose to mean?!" My mother saying with unholy rage

It took awhile for Dr.Lovato to speak up. She seemed to be taking it in and trying to find the right words to use.

-"Well?", Sinu said impatiently

She sighed

-"I have no way to really tell you this in a "calm manor" so I'll just be straight forward with you Mrs. Cabello. " Dr.Lovato said very seriously. A frown developed on her face.

I was sweating now. My mom's angered expression changed in a snap.Now having a nervous expression on her. Just waiting to here what was to be said.

Dr.Lovato took a deep breath

-"Mrs.Cabello your daughter has been diagnosed with an unknown blood disorder. Now with this information I can tell you that with her blood disorder being completely unknown to me I think it's best if you keep her in the house, keep all the doors locked, don't let her have play dates or any sleepovers. She shouldn't have any contact with anyone except you. No outside encounters!  We wouldn't want more of these harsh bruises forming on her. Also she needs to be homeschooled. It could either be you or maybe a professional. I don't know... but she has to be locked in her house. "

My jaw dropped open. No play dates?  No school?  I can't leave the house?!  Will I ever see my friends again?  I can't see Dinah!

Sinu had tears falling down from her eyes.

-"H-how long will my daughter suffer like this?  When will she  be able to live a normal life?", my mother asked.

-"It all depends on whether not we can find a doctor who knows what this blood disorder is... and if there is any type if cure." Dr.Lovato calmly explained.

-"You can cure a blood disorder? " It was my turn to speak up.

Dr.Lovato turned to me. Showing a tiny smile that seemed barely noticeable.

-"If your lucky then yes. A blood disorder can be cured. But since we have no doctors here that can help with that. We're going to have to do some research and make some phone calls." She explained to me

Wow... And I thought doctors knew everything about people's health.

I just nodded and looked at my mom. She was wiping some tears off  her face. It felt horrible to see her like that. I haven't seen her like that since my little sister Sofi had passed away due to her heart cancer. She was only a few months old too.

I motioned her to come to me. She came closer and I opened my arms inviting her to a hug.

She wrapped her arms around me.

It felt good to give her that hug. It felt like I was protecting her somehow.  I was waiting for her comforting squeeze she always gave me when we hugged. But it never came. It was only the lightest touch she gave me then quickly backed away from me. Her eyes said it all that she was afraid. I was too. I knew my life wasn't going to be normal, but I would have to make it work. I honestly don't recall any sort of disease or disorder that ran in my familia, but it didn't matter though.

There was silence in the room.

A tense, sad, and uncomfortable silence in the room.

-"Please if anything Mrs. Cabello contact me. And I'll try my best to help out with this situation." Dr.Lovato said with a firm voice. But I could here the little cracks in her voice. "And I'm not saying this as a doctor... I'm saying this as a friend. " She handed my mom a sticky note that seemed to have numbers on it.

-"Thank you Dr.Lovato... I'm sorry for all the harsh words I said earlier. I didn't mean any of it. " Sinu said. Blowing her nose in the tissue she held.

-"No no... no need to apologize Mrs. Cabello. I understand. Why don't you and your daughter go home and rest. You two look exhausted." The doctor said sincerely.

-"Your right. Thank you again Miss. Lovato. Come on Camila... let's go home." My mom told me sadly.

I got up from the chair and before I followed my mom out the door. I looked at Dr.Lovato. Opening a smile and gave her a gently hug. At first she seemed taken back by my actions, but soon returned the hug as well.

-"See you later Miss. Lovato." I said calmly to her.

-"See you around little Cabello" she said sweetly.

Then I looked back to my mom and walked out of my hospital room. Out to the hall. Into the waiting room. And out to the parking lot where the car was.

It didn't take us long to get home.

Home.

Home from now on was going to be my isolation. My cage. My guard from the outside world. Was I ready?  Hell no I wasn't, but despite it I wanted to keep myself strong. I wanted to show my mom that I would fight my disorder.  And that I would patiently until the day came when I doctor knew all about my disorder and would be able to help me. I wouldn't disobey any of the orders that the doctor gave me. My life depended on it.

Until now.....

________________

Hallo everyone! So this is the first chapter of "Her Fragile Skin" And this is also my first book! Now I know this chapter was a little short, but don't worry they'll get longer!  Love you all and thanks for reading! xoxo
                                -Natalie