The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy Part 1 | Season 01 Episode 02

03. The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy Part 1

"Simon," Corey whispers, his voice pained. "You... you can't help us." He turned to Clary, taking her hand, he looked back to Simon. "I'm sorry."

"What?" Simon sneered. "I've always had your back, Core. When, have I ever, let you down?"

Corey said nothing. Instead, he took Simons hand in his and with his one free hand he pulled him forward, urging, begging, Simon to understand. To follow.

"How do we know this McJagger looking guy—"

"Mundane," Jace said, his teeth gritted. "We do not have the time."

"Come on," Clary said as Corey pulled him forward, following Jace. "Trust us, Simon." Reluctantly, Simon followed, refraining himself from talking further. Though, Corey could tell, he wanted to.

Entering the abandoned church, Corey and Clary turned to see Simons reaction, however his expression remained stoic and his lips were sealed. Jace reached into his pocket, revealing his stele.

Simon turned to Corey, his brows drawn together. "He's like, burning himself," Simon whispered horridly. "Trust me," Corey whispered, giving Simons hand one last squeeze, before pulling away.

Abruptly, Jaces hand shot out, snatching Simon by the wrist, his expression bored. "Buddy, whats going on?" Simon tugged on Jace's hand. "You're not my type!"

"Simon, look," Clary said, pointing forward.

"Why—" Simons words seized, and his face dropped as he watched his surroundings unravel into something beautiful, real. "Wh... What?" Simon whispered. "Where—what the hell is this? Is there a war going on that I don't know about?" Simon asked, releasing Jace's hand with little grace.

"There is now," Jace said as he'd begun to walk away.

"And our parents are in the center of it," Clary said, following after Jace. Simon looked at Corey, but Corey didn't look back as he'd begun to follow Clary's steps.

"You coming?" Jace called from ahead.

"Ye-yeah," the mundane stuttered, following hurriedly behind Corey. "What is this place?" he asked. "There's a lot of gear here. What'd they do? Rob a tech shop?" Corey rolled his eyes at the comment as Jace only ignored him. "So, this cold blooded killer is going to help us?" Simon asked, standing beside where Jace stood—which was before a screen that revealed three police officers, knocking on the church doors.

"He's not a killer," Corey commented quietly.

"He's protecting us," Clary clarified.

"Specifically, you and Corey, not the mundane. It's sort of our thing." Jace added.

"Your thing?" Simon said. "You guys have a thing?"

"He means a shadowhunter thing," Clary amended, turning back to the screen. "It's what they do—protect humans from demons."

"Demons, right," Simon laughed. "Because there are demons running around Brooklyn. Right?"

"That," Jace said, swiping through the screen, "is the first correct thing you've said all day."

"NYPD," the men in the screen spoke. "Open up."

"Won't they see us?" Clary asked.

"No," Jace answered. "The NYPD do their usual, typical, mundie thing for a few hours and then the area will be clear."

"What is going on?" Alec spoke, coming from behind. "Why is there a mundane in the institute?" Alec asked, looking to Simon narrowly.

"A circle member followed him; they were trying to get to Clary and Corey."