Men and Angels Part 02 | Season 1 Episode 6

"You know you can't avoid the question. Right?"

Corey, from where he sat on the ground, still holding to Luke as though he'd leave him again, looked pleadingly to his sister. "Don't do this now," he asked, his voice reluctant because all knew that Clarissa would deny his request.

"I know Mom swore you to secrecy," she continued - as though never hearing Corey, "but we have seen you stand up to her before. Why didn't you tell us about any of this? A-About Corey being my Brother, about Valentine, about this world. Why?"

"Because I was afraid you'd hate us." Luke answered.

"Not possible." Clarissa denied, but the werewolf looked to her doubtfully. "I did," Corey admits timidly, leaning away from Luke's hand. "Still, kinda, mad, too..."

"Okay... the last few days, we have not had all the information."

"And you still don't," Luke cut off curtly. "But you need to know everything. It will help you two find the Mortal Cup."

"How?" Clary asked.

"You are just going to have to trust me."

"We do," Clary eased. "More than anyone. Nothing you say is going to change that. Okay? But you have to trust us, too."

"Alright... Magnus told you about the Uprising, didn't he?" Corey nodded his head positively. "About Valentine, who murdered all those people?" Corey and Clary nod again. "The reason he became that man... was our fault. Mine and Jocelyn's."

"No," Corey denied, shaking his head negatively. "I don't believe you."

"We betrayed him, Corey. Your Mother and I. We fell in love."

"Did you... Wait," Clary stammered, beginning to pace. "Are you our—"

"No." Luke hurriedly denied. "No. we never..."

"Slept together?" Clary inquired.

"Yeah— I mean, no. Valentine, he was my parabatai. We both loved him. But as his rhetoric got more violent... and he became more combative with the Clave," the Garroway sighs, "we started to worry. We tried helping him, but... he just kept pulling away. That just drew us closer together. We knew it was wrong, but we couldn't deny it, or hide it. He was convinced we were having an affair," Luke elaborated further. "He was obsessed with winning Jocelyn's heart back. For love, he was willing to do anything. Even compromise his own principles. He became fixated on becoming a better soldier. That led him to do the unthinkable..."

"What did he do?"

"He began experimenting with downworlder blood," Luke recollected. "Once he crossed that line, we never got him back. In the end, our love did more damage to Valentine than anything nobody else could have done. We broke his heart."

. . .

"What is this?" Corey exasperated, raising the wooden box as though it held the answers. "May— Maybe there is something here, maybe..."

"No," Luke denied, turning away from it as though it were unbearable to look at.

"Mom said this belonged to my Father," Clary adds, "but... Valentine is our Father. Who is 'JC'?"

"I want you to remember your Father could be a good man." Luke continued, acting as though the box had never been spoken of.

"After what he did to you—"

"This is worse!"

"Luke, we want to know." Corey instead spoke, reaching for his hand. "We— We need to know.

"You said you have to tell us everything, this, this is everything." Clary comments, placing the box down.

"It stands for Jonathan Christopher. Your brother."

"We— we have a brother?" Clary asked, her voice trembling.

"You did. He and Corey, they were twins."

"What happened to him?" Corey asked, his tone wavering. "What did Valentine do?"

"He died in a fire. Fairchild Manchor. A fire that your father set."