CHAPTER 22

SOLOMON

When we walk into the camp, Xander was already waiting for us with a very worried Izzy. 

"What is it?" I asked, 

Xander's eyes flickered between me and Ayla. He turns around and walks towards the main tent, "Follow me."

Ayla and I both follow him inside. Eddie, Noah and their mates were already here. They all wore a face of concern and dread. This makes me go on edge instantly. 

"Tell me." I said impatiently. 

Xander sits down and holds up a letter, "Kendrick has given us a warning. If we don't hand Ayla over to him, he's going to rage war against us."

Ayla steps forward and says, "He's put a bounty on my head. That might be his way of recruiting for this."

Xander groans and rubs his eyes, "What a mess."

AYLA

As I look around the table, I felt an ache inside. I felt guilt. They were worried about their families, their little ones, the pack. They have been threatened with a horrible war that could lead to wolves dying. Pups dying. Loved ones dying. All for me. 

I can't let them fight for me. 

"I can't let you all do this anymore." I said with heart that was full. I know I am not a whole person. I still have nightmares every night. I still have a deep fear of going back to that wretched attic. I didn't want to go through everything that I went through all over again, maybe even worse this time. Kendrick might kill me by accident. 

I took a deep breathe. Everyone was facing me with confused expressions. Solomon however was the more annoyed than confused. 

He steps closer to me and whispers harshly, "Don't, Ayla." 

I scowl at him, "You don't have the right to tell me what to do," I face the rest of the people, "Look, I can't let you guys go through this war because of me. He wants me and that's it. I can take myself in."

Solomon growls, "No! You're not doing this. I won't let you."

"And I don't care, " I snapped at him, " If it means you all will be safe, I'm going to do it."

Solomon's face was hard and angry. He snarls, "I am not letting you do this. I'll chain you up if I have to."

I push him and shout, "Can't you see I am already in chains! I have been in chains for five years! And for some fucked up reason, even though I am free, Kendrick still has me in chains. And on top of that, I have this extreme guilt and shame for letting you all go to war for someone like me. I am not worth a war...please just let me go." Tears well up in my eyes. Everyone's eyes were wide when they watched me. 

I glared deeply at Solomon, "You are in no position to tell me what to do Solomon Nightwalker. You lost the right to me a long time ago. You should remember that."

He doesn't say anything. His jaw was clenched and his eyes were black. He wanted to explode right now. Veins were popping out of his neck.

Eddie quickly gets up and gently pushes Solomon towards the exit, "Come on man, let's go for a run."

Solomon growled deeply but complied. When they left, I physically relaxed. I tried to be his friend. I tried to be nice and have a little bit of fun. But it always ends with this. 

Xander stands from his chair and makes his way towards me, "I understand why you feel the way you do, Ayla. Trust me, I do. You are naturally a peace-maker. You don't like conflict. You try your hardest to prevent it even if you are caught in the crossfire...and I admire that...But I also understand that you haven't been part of a pack for five years. That's a long time. And I think I need to remind you is a pack like ours...if you mess with one...you mess with all of us. Kendrick was a sick and twisted wolf who trapped you in a never-ending cycle of pain and suffering, not only you but Milo who is my nephew...and he's going to pay for it."