Facetime is Different than Face Time

Long distance AU, prep yourselves.

Scott belly flopped onto his bed the way a child would into a pool. All the Red Bull in the word couldn't possibly keep him awake now, not after three consecutive classes and a whole night of studying. His UC Davis sweatshirt was stained from top to bottom with microwavable food of every variety. Scott went through all sorts of things in Beacon Hills; Kanimas, dark druids, evil fox spirits, even a deadpool. But nothing, absolutely nothing, would prepare him for the exhaustion of college. He wanted- he needed to pass out entirely.
Scott was so close to drifting away, but his laptop interrupted his sweet, peaceful, almost rest. Isaac was facetiming him.
Scott groaned and let it ring three times before dragging himself out of bed to answer. Scott clicked "accept" and watch his boyfriend's face appear on the screen.
"Hey," Isaac said, the Paris lights strung in the background.
Scott yawned. "Hey."
"Midterms?"
Scott nodded, running his hands through his hair. The silence the both of them experienced was like a dream. Four months, and they ran out of things to talk about. People can only talk for so long.
Scott looked at his clock, it was 4:00 pm, six hours ahead for Isaac.
Scott inhaled. "When are you coming home, Isaac?"
Although they agreed to steer away from the topic, Scott couldn't take it anymore. He hadn't physically seen Isaac in a long time. He needed to touch him, kiss him, anything would be better than factiming every day.
Isaac's face fell, and Scott could see something bubbling behind his eyes. "Scott-"
"I'm so sick of this!" He groaned. "I'm sick of everything! School, trying to find a job, not seeing you-"
"I'm trying okay? It's not like I can just pack up and go-"
"But you can!" Scott argued. He subconsciously looked to see if his roommate was in. He knew that he wasn't, obviously, but the thought of having him eavesdrop on another fight was mortifying. "I'm going back to Beacon Hills later tonight, Ill be there for Christmas, you can fly out, and-"
Isaac shook his head. "It won't work. There's no way I can get a plane ticket."
Scott inhaled sharply. "What if-"
"Scott. We're not doing this again."
"We never did this in the first place!" He exclaimed. "You shut me down before I can even get a word in, just like you always do!"
Scott could see something flash across Isaac's face; shock, guilt, remorse, whatever. Scott didn't care, he had finally snapped.
"You don't get to say that," Isaac said, voice quivering. "You don't."
Scott shrugged bitterly. "I don't see any reason why not. What are you going to do? Hang up on me?"
Isaac's face was stone cold.
"God forbid you block me on Snapchat. Maybe then I don't have to get those stupid, drunk, snapchats from you at 3am."
Silence was the only thing coming from the other end of the FaceTime.
"While you're at it, delete alllllll the pictures you have of me. That way you don't need to be reminded of the burden you call a relationship."
As soon as the final word escaped his mouth, he couldn't believe what he'd just said. He almost flinched, sitting back in his chair with such disbelief that he didn't notice the look of pure, unadulterated, contempt Isaac wore.
"Fuck you, Scott."
The call ended with an infuriating click, and the moment of silence that followed allowed Scott to process that he and Isaac had just broken up. He slammed his laptop closed and cried out in frustration, as soon as the realization hit him.

The worst part being, he had to drive all the way back to Beacon Hills with so much shame and self-loathing he didn't know what to do with himself.

***
Melissa wanted to know anything and everything about his first semester, but all Scott wanted to do was sleep. The last thing he wanted to do was admit to his mother that Isaac would probably never come back to Beacon Hills, or even that they had broken up at all. He mainly avoided her questions with a simple yes, no, or an "I'm not sure," but his heart was heavy, too heavy for his own good. He scolded himself the entire drive home. He knew his relationship would never actually work, but it still burned like hell when it didn't.

However, even when he was able to escape Melissa's interrogation, he couldn't sleep. Even though that was the only thing that had been on his mind since the day before yesterday, he was still wide awake.
He and Isaac were done.
That was the only thing bouncing around his brain that night;
And the night after that,

On his third restless night of moping, his alarm clock read 2:34am when he heard a knock at the door.
But that was insane, right? Nobody was awake I. Beacon Hills at this hour.
Scott tried to ignore it, pretend it didn't exist, but it was very real, and very persistent.
He dragged himself out of bed, and down the stairs, trying to rub three nights of tiredness from his eyes.
"Coming," he had hoped to say, but it was just a wordless mumble.
It took him a second to fully open his eyes when he opened to door.
There stood Isaac, looking exactly the same as he was on FaceTime, but this time it was suitcase in hand, and this wasn't a webcam.
Scott thought he was hallucinating
"Is this good enough?" Isaac asked, his tone angry.
Scott stood there, gaping. He had so many words, so many speeches he had practiced in the bathroom mirror if/when he next saw his ex boyfriend, but they all went tumbling out of his brain.
Isaac's angry facade slowly began to fade due to Scott's silence. "Look, I'm sorry, alright? You deserve a better guy than me, Scott. But I want to make this work, so, so badly-"
Scott kissed him so fast it almost took him off of his feet— literally. They both grinned until their cheeks hurt, and not just from the cold.

Maybe long distance relationships didn't work, but Scott and Isaac did.

The ending was ~ruuuuushedddd~
But I had this chapter prewritten so I might as well post it :)