1:00am

Ok so I just fixed some things that I didn't like about this chapter, particularly the part where Atlas is telling Lucas her life story. Yeah, she seems more human now, so that's what matters.

• • •

As they were heading towards the highway, Lucas turned down the music a bit.

"So, where to?" He asked, curiosity was bubbling up inside the pit of his stomach. With Atlas it seemed as if there were so many opportunities, so many chances. The possibilities seemed to be endless.

"What, you've never heard of a surprise before, Chicago?" Atlas replied, she chuckled at the image of Lucas' startled face as she mentioned his home town.  He so obviously wasn't from California after all.

"How did you know that?" Lucas asked cautiously, looking slightly frightened. It was in that moment Atlas pulled out a wallet. A wallet that happened to be his.

"You know it's way to easy to take your shit." Atlas said cooly. She had taken a quick peek at his drivers' license since she wanted to know where he was from.

Lucas, who had been quietly sitting there when she pulled the wallet out, touched all his pockets frantically, nothing. He quickly grabbed his wallet from her waiting hand and put it in his right pocket. He turned to the window and laughed. This made Atlas break a small smile, although it still showed off her deep dimples. They continued throughout their ride silently, just looking at the passing cars and lights surrounding them. It was a comfortable silence indeed. Not one you'd feel as if had to be filled with words. All they needed was the serene atmosphere around them, on the highway to who-knows-where in a stolen car.

Surprisingly enough, these occurrences weren't the least bit strange to Atlas. As said before, she had done this quite often. And it was in no way meant to use people for her own entertainment, but rather, just done in hopes of finding a new friend. And by the end of the night - had anyone even made it there without bailing - if they could laugh at all their misfortunes and happy endings, if they could honestly say that they knew one another, in their heart and in their soul, they were to be inseparable afterwards, simply the best of friends. The truly sad part is, no one had ever made it through the whole night, sometimes days, with her. But she had a good feeling about this one. There was high hope for Lucas.

Lucas, on the other hand, had never been quite as spontaneous as this. He did do things that were amazing of course, but never had they been done in such a fashion. Atlas had a peculiar way of working, everything she did seemed to be done in a way that was different and alluring. Lucas had a way of admiring and abiding to this, but he had always done things in a way that drew people to him all the time. Not when you least expect it, like his partner for the night does. And although Lucas had felt a slight bit of nerves as for what was to come tonight, he knew he would come out of this with a smile on his face and a new friend. As well as the fond memories from it and more to be made with her.

Lucas had been pushed out of his thoughts as they stopped, by what appeared to be, a beach. A beach in the middle of nowhere, but nonetheless, a beach. Atlas parked the car in the sand.

"A beach? Creative." Lucas said sarcastically. This was actually fine, he somehow had a feeling that this was more than what meets the eye.

Atlas just ignored his snarky remark, if he had any idea what the hell he was in for. Then again, Atlas didn't either.

They both hopped out the car, as they began to walk to who knows where, they were talking. They had both been looking up at the sky, it was exceptionally clear that night. And so beautiful. All the stars that you could never dream of seeing in the city. All the different colors and patterns and shapes. It was magnificent. Atlas took a deep breath, and began to speak.