Chapter 3

(Y/n)'s POV

~After school~

"What? What do you mean (Y/n)'s not in the concours?" asked Len.
"It simply means she doesn't have the skills needed to enter the concours," said Hajime sensei.
"...what? She doesn't have the skills? (Y/n)'s playing is better than yours," Keii pointed out.
"Shut it, blondie. I'm sorry - well, really, I'm not - but she can't enter and nothing you do or say can change that. Any questions?"
"Sensei, wouldn't it be better to let us decide? If you think you're helping us by taking out our competition, then I'm afraid you thought wrong. We are not so bad at our instruments that we need help by cheating," Yunoki exclaimed.
"What are you implying?"
"We are in the music department, with the exception of Hino and Tsuchiura, so it is likely we have some musical talent/s. Wouldn't it be fair to let us decide whether she joins or not? And besides, it would be good practise to go up against talented rivals."
"I see your point-"
"Cut it out. You're not actually going to accept, are you? Well, if you think she's that terrible at the violin, then let her play for us. She won't be able to get in if she's bad, right?" Len asked.

I stood awkwardly to the side, wanting to escape. After all, it wasn't exactly a good feeling to be talked about when you were present at the scene.

Len and Keii objected strongly to the idea that I wasn't allowed to participate while Yunoki, Hihara, Fuyuumi and Tsuchiura didn't really care whether I entered or not. As for Hino, she seemed somewhat...glad? Or was I imagining it?

"(Y/n), what do you think about this?" she asked.
"I would love to participate but if I'm not allowed then there's really no-"
"What are you talking about? Are you worried about the teacher? The (Y/n) I know wouldn't let the opinions of others stop her from doing the things she loves," exclaimed Len.
"You seem awfully fond of her, Tsukimori. Are you two in a relationship?" Hino asked, curious.
"I'm not obliged to tell a stranger my relationship with (Y/n). So will you allow her to participate or not, Hajime sensei?"
"Sorry I'm late for the meeting!" Kanazawa sensei yelled as he entered the classroom.
"Sensei, it's nice of you to join us," Hihara said with a slight grin.
"I had things to do. Anyway, what's with all the seriousness?"

Hajime sensei explained the situation and surprisingly, stated it without any bias. I mean, he would've definitely tried everything to make me feel miserable.

Was he worried that he'd somehow anger Len's parents? Well, they were really famous people and probably had a lot of influence with the media.

"Oh, I see. Why don't we see how well she plays first?...if that's okay with you, (L/n)," Kanazawa sensei asked.
"Yeah, sure."

Len handed me his violin, which I gratefully took. I left mine in the classroom with my books.

I started playing. Tch, so typical of me playing my mum's favourite... The notes filled the spacious room and dulled my senses. I was engulfed in the world of music, forgetting everything around me.

I didn't know how long I played for. All I wanted was to play for as long as possible, wanting to escape. Yes, I was a coward that tried to push away her fears and avoid problems.

"Your playing...it's beautiful," Hino said with a hint of jealousy.
"Thank you."
"Well, what do you guys think?" asked Kanazawa sensei.
"She's definitely going to be a worthy component. I see no problem with her participating," replied Yunoki.
"Same here!" Hihara exclaimed.

The others all gave discreet nods, giving their consent. I smiled and immediately bowed, thanking them. I have always wanted to join the concours and it was actually happening.

Keii flashed me a small smile, and mouthed a few words to me. I nodded quietly. No one else seemed to notice this.

"(Y/n), let's go," Len exclaimed.
"But I'm going to the practise rooms with Keii."
"Oh...really?"

I just smiled and ruffled his hair.

"Len, there's always next time. Don't be so disappointed."
"That's right. Tsukimori, you can practise with me if you want," said Hino.
"...forget it. I prefer to practise alone."

He fixed his hair with a sigh before leaving with his violin. I said goodbye to everyone and left the room with Keii. We headed towards the practise rooms.

~Some time later~

"Hey Keiichi, decided to come over?" Haku-nii asked.
"Yeah...I wanted to help (Y/n)."
"Well, there's not much you can help with in our dire situation."
"Who's here?" asked dad.
"It's Shimizu Keiichi, sir."
"What the hell are you doing here? Get out, there's nothing for you to see."
"Dad, let him stay for a while. He hasn't been over for ages-"
"Shut it, (Y/n). You have no say in this. Tell him to leave or else I'll force him out myself."

I gave Keii an apologetic look, but he just shrugged it off and left. He was our guest...and had to leave because of the 'great hospitality' of our dad. Haku-nii gave my hand a squeeze as if to reassure me that it was fine.

"(Y/n), why are you still standing there? I'm hungry!" dad yelled in annoyance.
"But it's only-"
"I don't care if it's only the afternoon! Just make dinner, got it?!"

He stormed back into his room and slammed the door closed. I jumped at the sudden sound of the door closing. Haku-nii steadied me from behind.

"I hate him," he said quietly.
"Haku...nii?"
"Don't worry, I won't ask you to. You have to stay just the way you are, you're fine like that. I'll hate him for you, because it's okay for me. It's fine..."

He couldn't continue as tears streamed down his cheeks. I pulled him into a tight hug and cried as well. What did...we do to deserve this?...