Chapter 21

(Y/n)'s POV

"Wait, you gave up on your dreams to help your sister?" asked Len.
"Yeah, so what?"
"Is she really that important to you to make you give up on something you've been searching for your whole life?..."
"What? Are you trying to start a fight? I've already lost both my parents and I definitely do not want to lose the only family I have left. My dreams are just something I can pick up along the way."
"Haku-nii! Stop with all that nonsense! I won't ever leave you so please stop wasting your life..."
"(Y/n), we've had this conversation a lot," he replied with a sigh.

I just pouted and crossed my arms. He raised an eyebrow before playing a soft tune on the guitar. Len sat down beside me, letting me lean against him.

"Will you please explain what you mean by the thing you said before?" Len asked.
"Yeah. Like what did you mean Michiko planned everything? Well, you don't have to tell us if you don't want to."
"Oi, it's not that I don't want to tell you. I'm just afraid of what you'll do after I tell you," Haku-nii replied.
"Don't worry, I won't do anything unnecessary."
"Ugh, why can I not trust you when you say that?"

Len simply sighed after hearing our pointless bickering. I gave his hand a small squeeze and flashed him a cheeky smile. A disgustingly vomit-like noise came from Haku-nii. I kicked him in the stomach before smiling as if nothing had happened.

He gave me a glare before moving away from me. I just shrugged and plopped down on the soft carpet. Len cleared his throat, making the both of us look away and blush in embarrassment.

"Hmph, you two really are similar," Len commented.
"What? No way," Haku-nii and I said simultaneously.
"A-anyway, can you tell us?"
"...Michiko wanted me. She was having a secret affair with Hajime and got bored of him...until she met me and then wanted me in inappropriate ways. She knew that I couldn't handle the whole drug thing so she approached me when I was having a hard time and comforted me. It was later on that I found out that she had asked Hajime to force me to do drugs...so that she could 'rescue me'."
"What about Hajime sensei? Did he know about her plan?"
"No...she lied to him."

I could feel my cheeks heat up in anger. Tch, why don't puffs of smoke come out of my ears? I was so mad that I could probably explode if this was a fantasy world.

Before I had a chance to go out of the front door, Haku-nii grabbed onto my arm and refused to let go. I gave him an annoyed look but he simply ignored me.

Why didn't he tell me this?! I swear I would go tell the police about this- but I didn't have any evidence...and I don't think Haku-nii had any either.

*sigh* What was I supposed to do? Of course I would kill Michiko and possibly Hajime sensei too but then what? I needed to do something for Haku-nii...but I couldn't do anything without involving the police...and something bad might happen to Haku-nii...

"(Y/n)," said Len.
"Huh? Yeah?"
"I think I know how to expose this secret of theirs."
"And how do you expect to do that?"
"I used my own ways to find traces of Michiko and Hajime together. Surprisingly, they happened to leave behind a conversation relating to the thing about forcing (L/n) to deal drugs."
"...so...?"
"And I recorded everything your brother told us. Of course, I'll have to cut some pieces out and change his voice but other than that, everything should be ready to hand to the police anonymously."
"Are you serious?"
"Yeah...also, I happened to already know everything about this."
"Then why didn't you say so?!"
"If I did, I don't think your brother would have bothered to explain himself to you."

I looked at Haku-nii, who was just staring at Len with wide eyes. Anyone could tell that he was surprised.

"Why would you do all that for me?" he asked Len.
"For you? I think you're misunderstanding. I'm doing this for your sister," Len replied.
"Tch, whatever."

~Some time later~

Haku-nii was playing the guitar while singing softly. I listened intently and closed my eyes. This could never get old...I swear I could listen to this all day long.

Where was Len though? He left a few minutes ago without saying where he was going or when he was coming back. Why was I still here then? Well, whatever. At least Haku-nii seemed at ease and content when he played.

"Oh, (Y/n)."
"Hmm? Oh, hi! Mrs Tsukimori, nice to see you again."
"It has been a while, hasn't it?"

I nodded and smiled. As if the whole world was invisible, Haku-nii continued playing/singing as though nothing had happened. With a sigh, I introduced my brother who didn't look up till his name was said.

"Your playing is beautiful," she exclaimed with a calm smile.
"Tch, what's the point of playing beautifully if I have no use for it?..."
"Hmm, is your brother always like this?"
"Yeah, pretty much. But he's actually a real softie on the inside! Please don't hate him because of how rude he seems!"
"(Y-(Y/n)!" Haku-nii yelled with a blush.

He covered my mouth and pulled me back. Mrs Tsukimori only laughed as she saw this, which just made me smile. Haku-nii gave me a stern look before sighing.

Len came back looking a little more serious than usual. It probably had something to do with his parents and/or playing the violin. I was worried about him, but there was nothing I could do...