Chapter 8

(Y/n)'s POV

We were all gathered in the classroom for a meeting about the concours. Before, I would've been excited and eager to hear about what the teachers had to say, but now, I could only watch as Hino sat down next to Len and gave him a sweet smile.

"Hey, are you listening?" Kanazawa sensei asked me.
"Yeah."
"Prove it. What did I just say?"
"Sensei, that's kinda mean. Don't pick on (Y/n)," Keii exclaimed.
"Geez, what is this? A prince protecting his princess?-"
"I'd appreciate it if you could get on with it. There are more important things that need to be discussed," said Yunoki.
"Right, there are. Now, onto the topic. The first theme will be 'Your True Self' (I'll be making this up as I go). The performance is going to be held in two weeks. Please pick a piece and start practicing. That is all, you are dismissed."

I immediately stood up and attempted to go out the doorway, only to be stopped by none other than Hino. She flashed a fake smile at me.

"Can we please talk privately?" she asked.
"I'm sorry, I have better things to do."

I pushed past her and headed outside, but she fell over. It was obvious that she faked it because I didn't push her that hard. I barely even touched her shoulder.

She looked at me, faking pain and sadness. I just rolled my eyes and went down the hall, but stopped at the sound of Kanazawa sensei's voice. Ugh, I did not want to argue with a teacher right now.

"(L/n), I think you should apologise."
"It wasn't my fault."
"Seems like there's an intense rivalry in the concours this year," commented Yunoki.
"(L/n), you still have to apologise. It's rude to ignore a person in need of some help."
"She's perfectly fine and has nothing in her hands. I don't see why she would need any help, especially if it has nothing to do with me."
"That's enough! You have a detention!" yelled Hajime sensei.
"Hey now, doesn't that seem a little harsh?" Kazuki asked.
"She's a worthless student, not capable of doing anything great. It's perfect for someone like her."
"Take that back," Keii exclaimed, his nails digging into his palms.
"What was that?"
"I said take it back. She's not worthless, she's my best friend..."
"Oh, is she now? Well, guess what? I don't care, not even in the slightest."
"Keii, there's no need to waste time with rude teachers like him. Let's go."

Haku's POV

I half-heartedly waited for the customer to tell me his order. Honestly, I couldn't care less about this stupid job. It was boring as hell and certainly didn't pay enough for the amount of time I worked.

Well, I would understand because my behaviour's not exactly what you'd call 'proper' but still, I should at least be getting the minimal wage.

"Was that all, sir?"
"Yes- oh and one more cappuccino please."
"That'll be $20."

I waited for him to pay before reluctantly calling out to the next customer. Ugh...I swear I could've been doing better things right now. But (Y/n) was really important to me. I wasn't going to give her up.

"Hey, pretty boy," said a cute girl.

I raised an eyebrow. Well, this wasn't the first time a girl has tried to flirt with me. Geez, they never stop coming. Sometimes, I was a little annoyed at my looks.

"What do you want?"

Oops, that sounded a little too rude. Eh, whatever. Not like I cared about the girl's feelings. I guess it was just a habit I had when I got impatient and annoyed. It was like the opposite of my sister.

"Would it be too much to ask for a date?" she asked seductively.
"Listen, girl. I'm not interested so get lost."
"W-wha..."

She was too shocked to say the rest of her sentence. I guess she must've been pretty confident in herself, but I was really hard to impress so it'd take a lot more than a cute face and seductive voice to make me fall.

~Some time later~

I was riding my motorbike, just going out for a little breather. The drama involving (Y/n) still remained fresh in my head.

I couldn't believe she had to put up with that stupid Hino girl. Seriously though, I've never seen a girl act so horribly just to get her crush to like her...well, maybe except for in movies.

I stopped at a nearby park and hopped off. Suddenly, my phone rang. It was (Y/n) calling.

"Hey sis."
"Haku-nii, I'm terribly sorry but I'm going to have to stay at school to practise for the concours."
"Oi, is something bothering you?"
"No, nothing you need to concern yourself with."
"You think I can't notice it? You're speaking a little more formally to me. I'm going to see you right now."
"What? You don't have to-"
"See you at school."

I hung up before she could get another word at me. People may call be too overprotective or possibly a little controlling but I didn't care. Nothing was more important than (Y/n).

She was always a sensitive girl, often hiding it under smiles and faked happiness. She was the only family I had left and I did not want to lose her.

As I walked into the school, I noticed (Y/n) walking past through a window. What was she doing up there? I'm pretty sure the practise rooms weren't there...

I quickly followed her, making sure to keep my distance so that she wouldn't notice me. Before I could continue any further, someone called out to me.

I sighed and turned around to face whoever had called me. Wait, that girl! I couldn't help but freeze as she strode up to me and wrapped her arms around me.

"I missed you, Haku."