01

"So are you ever going to tell us what we need to know about you or are we going to have to look it up?" Alec the blue-eyed Shadowhunter spoke to me. 

"Even if you did try and look me up you wouldn't find me anywhere. I don't have social media and my birth isn't recorded anywhere as far as I know. I truly don't exist anywhere." I looked him in the eyes and I clenched my stomach as the feeling came back. "All you need to know is my name is Elena and I have Shadowhunter blood. No, I don't have a last name as far as I know."

I could see Alec's jaw clench in frustration. I couldn't tell him what I didn't know myself and he didn't need to know that I was part Warlock. I was worried that my blood would set off the runes that protected the Institute but because I had Shadowhunter blood it didn't and for that I was thankful. I still wondered why demons would be at Jocelyn's home though. I knew she was a former Shadowhunte in hiding but I never knew why and Dot wouldn't tell me. 

"Do you at least know why the girl was attacked by a demon?" 

"I'd have to say because of her mother Jocelyn. She was a Shadowhunter in hiding but I never found out why. She was very secretive about her past even with Clary so she won't be much help when she wakes up I believe." I shrugged my shoulders as I looked at him. 

"Why didn't you come to the Institute sooner if you knew you were a Shadowhunter?" He squinted his eyes at me. It was a valid question but one I couldn't answer truthfully. 

"I was told it wasn't safe by the Warlock I lived with. My mother either died or abandoned me after my birth and I barely knew my father so a Warlock ended up raising me. That's why I have no idea who I am and it's not like there is a Shadowhunter DNA test I could take to see if where I came from." At least I thought there wasn't. 

He shut up after that and I didn't feel like talking anymore. I just kept thinking about my own mother and what happened to her. I thought about Dot and if she was okay. Clary just needs to wake up so I can figure out what happened after she left Pandemonium. 

I still held the feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach and it would just not go away. I kept trying to clear my head to focus on the feeling to figure out what has caused it and yet every time I do it feels as if I'm blocked. A Warlock is blocking my magic. How is that possible? I had magic most Warlocks did not have and that was because of my Shadowhunter blood. 

I sat in the room Isabelle said I could stay in. She was just happy there was another girl at the Institute and enjoyed to dress up just as much as she did though I also enjoyed being comfortable some days. Currently, though I was wearing a dress Izzy had let me borrow as Alec wouldn't let me leave to go to my own apartment.

The dress Izzy let me borrow was white and I stood out like a sore thumb in the crowds of all black but I enjoyed the eyes on me. Especially since I knew Alec's eyes had been on me a few times. I had pent up energy and all I wanted to was get a work out in. I wondered if Izzy would work out with me. 

I slipped on a sports bra and a pair of leggings. I skipped putting on shoes as I always found it easier to fight with no shoes on. I had found Izzy already in the workout room and smiled in my direction. She seemed to get an idea of what I wanted to do and all she could do was smirk. 

I was stronger than I looked even without runes. We started out with hand to hand combat which led to us circling each other. Slowly we tried to anticipate who would hit the other first but neither of us made a move just yet. 

"Scared you're going to hurt me?" I taunted Izzy and she took it as a sign to attack. I blocked her punches and was quick on my feet to dodge her legs trying to kick my feet out from under me. The whole time I was on the defensive when I saw her take a moment to breathe I took that as my chance to distract her with a kick and land a punch to her face.