Chapter 13

John's POV

  I wake up to the sun creeping through the currents of my room. I rub my eyes and sit up, unfamiliar to my surroundings. I see Alexander sleeping next to me. I smile at him and look around the room. Oh.. yeah... I'm visiting my siblings. I sigh and run a hand through the tangled mess I call hair. I get up from the bed and go into the long hallway. I know my dad'll be asleep till at least noon so mind as well make breakfast. I slowly walk down the stairs, making sure to keep quiet. I see the back door open... that's weird... I could've sworn I...-

"I will not break,
The way you did, you fell so hard..." I hear a voice sing. I creep to look out the window of the back door.

"I've learned the hard way...
To never let it get that far..
Because of you
I never stray too far from the sidewalk..."

Martha...? I look at my sister, holding a flower close to her. Someone... braiding her hair?? Who is that? A girl with dark brown hair and tan skin is braiding her long hair with a smile. Martha sits on her knees as she sings to the girl doing her hair. The girls green eyes concentrated on the tight braid. She puts different colored flowers in my sisters hair as she goes. I notice Martha is actually making a flower crown.

"Because of you
I like to play on the safe side
So I don't get hurt." She continues to sing. The girl doing her hair wipes her own side bangs away from her eye. Martha wears a red flannel with shorts that only reached her ankles and black socks. The girl behind her wore a blue shirt and black leggings with no shoes on.

"Because of you I find it hard to trust, not only me but everyone around me..
Because of you....
I am afraid..." Martha sighs as she picks another flower to interlace in her flower crown.

"What's wrong?" The girl behind her asks sweetly.

"I just..." She cuts herself off with a sigh. I feel bad for listening to her conversation but... she's my sister. The girl ties the end of the braid with a ponytail and walks on her knees to sit in front of Martha.

"I don't like my dad... John is here which is amazing. I love him with all my heart... but he can't stay.. he can't always protect us... he wants to.. but he can't. He has college to attend to and he's such a great singer. He's going to be someone important to the world some day... when he's famous or well-known.. he'll forget about us... the world will never be the same..." she explains to the girl. I feel guilt rise to my stomach and feel my heart break. She really though these things..?

"He loves you Mar... and your dad is terrible.. I know.. but once you're 16 or 18, we can move! You and I against the world... the world is wide enough to have bad people.. good people... the world has a fate.. and so do we. The world put fate together and put you and I together. There has to be a reason for that.." she explains to Martha with a smile. Martha smiles sadly back at her and wipes a stray tear that fell from her face.

"I don't deserve you..." Martha tells the girl quietly.

"I should be saying that to you." She responds and kisses my sister on the nose making her giggle.

I awkwardly clear my throat, earning a flinch from both girls. They snap their heads to look at me. I lean against the door frame as both girls blush. I smirk.

"H-how long h-have you been there..?" Martha asks me, with wide eyes.

"Long enough." I respond with a shrug. Both girls get up and straighten their posture. Like soldiers waiting for a command. I walk out the door and stare the girls down with my arms crossed. They book at each other with red faces, then back to the ground.

"Who are you?" I ask the girl with brown hair and she tenses up as her breathing hitches.

"S-sandrine sir..." she mumbles. She look at her, than Martha. I hold my hand out for her to take it.

"John Laurens." I say with a smile. She smiles shyly and shakes my hand.

"Well that was fun! Sandy let's go ride the horses!" Martha says quickly, grabbing Sandrine's hand to leave.

"Not so fast!" I say, stopping her in her tracks. She sighs and looks at me.

"Something you wanna tell me Martha Lee Laurens?" I say, teasing her with her full name.. she sighs again, still holding Sandrine's hand.

"John, this is my... friend..." she says, stopping at the word friend. I raise an eyebrow at her.

"Friend?" I question.

She mumbles something I can't hear.

"What was that?" I ask, pushing her buttons.

"She's my girlfriend okay??" She nearly screams. She blushes a bright red and scraped her hands over her face. I laugh at her.

"Okay! That's all I wanted to hear Martha!" I say in-between laughs. She growls at me.

"We'll talk about this," I point to Sandrine, "later. For now, go have fun before dad wakes up." I tell her with a wink. Her blush brightens and she walks off with Sandrine and her flower crown to the barn. I laugh at her and shake my head. I walk back into the kitchen and smile.

"What're you smilin' about?" Alex asks me from the kitchen table drinking coffee. I flinch at the sound of his voice.

"When did you wake up??"

"About 5 minutes ago."

"You scared me!"

"No shit, you should've seen your face."

"You suck!"

"You swallow."

"Bitch."

"Asshole."

I grumble under my breath and make start to make myself coffee. He smiles at me and takes a sip of his own drink. I put creamer in my coffee then sit next to Alex. We sit in comfortable silence. Sipping our drinks in peace. But everything peaceful doesn't last. Jr. comes down with Addy crying softly in his arms.

"I can't get her to stop crying..." he whispers to me, bouncing Addy, trying to stop her crying.

I get up quickly and take Addy into my arms and hold her tight.

"Addy.. it's okay... shh shh shh.. you're okay.." I whisper in her ear.

"Lexi..." She says, reaching to Alex. Alex goes wide eyed and sets his coffee down. I give Addy to him and she snuggles into him, calming down.

"How...? Why..?" Jr. questions. Alex just shrugs.

I have to admit, I'm quiet jealous that Addy likes Alex right away...

Jr. starts to make breakfast and I help him.

"Jacky?" Addy says quietly. I turn over to her. I squat down to her level. (She's on Alexander's lap.)

"What is it Addy?" I ask her. She looks around to see if anyone is listening and whispers in my ear.

"Daddy says we have a new mommy..." she whispers and my eyes go wide...

That's why he was acting weird and wanted me to visit...

"N-no... w-we don't. Mama is in a better place now Addy." I tell her, turning my attention back at the food. Jr. looks away from me, mixing some eggs...

"Jr.?" I ask him and he sighs and looks to me.

"New mommy?" I whisper to him confused. He nods slowly.

With that, I hear a knock on the door...