Distance

I climb through my window and walk out onto the flat roof. Peter's already sat waiting. He turns his head when he hears me coming. We've done this same thing hundreds of nights. Since we were 9 years old we would meet on this roof. Tonight's different.

Tonight's the last time.

Tomorrow, Peter, my best friend Peter, will move away. And I don't know if I'll ever see him again. My whole body feels numb as I walk closer, I don't even feel the chill carried by the February wind as it messes with Pete's auburn hair. I sit next to him in silence.

We sit like that for a while. Watching the stars, the clouds, the moon, everything but each other.

"Do you remember the first time we came out here?" Pete asks, breaking the silence.

I laugh at the memory, eyes tearing up slightly. "You just knocked on my window, like it was completely normal to climb on your new neighbour's roof uninvited."

"You still came out with me though."

"I was curious."

"I'm glad."

I nod, "Me too."

"Remember when I was dancing, and I got so carried away I just fell off the roof?"

"That wasn't even funny, I thought you'd died."

"Only a broken arm, it was worth it to see you laugh at my terrible dancing." We both look at each other and smile. I gently lay my head on his shoulder.

"Remember when we ate all our Halloween sweets and then got sick."

"I got in so much trouble for that you know."

"Me too, I didn't really care though, it was worth every second."

"Remember the night after the school dance, we both just lay here and talked for hours."

"And you confessed that you still sleep with Peggy Pig?"

He laughs, "Hey! We were meant to never speak of that ever again."

We're silent again before he says quietly, "Remember when we fell asleep out here?"

I nod, remembering one of the best nights of my life. It felt amazing to have just me, Peter and the sky.

I love Peter. I have for a very long time. I love him as a friend, and as more than a friend.

But none of that matters now, because he's going away. And I guess I'll never know if he ever felt the same.

We remain silent, both of us replaying that night in our heads.

After what feels like hours, when maybe it was only minutes, Peter stands abruptly. "We haven't got much time left."

I shake my head and look up at him, "Don't say that."

He stands still for a moment, thinking.

"Get up."

"Huh?"

"Dance with me."

"There's no music."

He shakes his head and smiles at me, "We don't need music."

I grab his outstretched hand and he pulls me to my feet. He wraps his arms around my back and starts to sway slowly from side to side. I move my arms around his neck and he pulls me closer.

I should feel stupid. Dancing on a roof with no music, but I don't; nowhere near. Here, under the stars in Peter's arms, I feel safe. I could've stayed like that forever, but Peter says my name and I look up.

I lift my head to find Peter already looking at me, his eyes soft as they look into mine. I feel myself lean forward slightly and close my eyes, Peter doing the same. His lips meet mine, and I feel my knees go weak beneath me. But Peter's there, holding me up with his arms securely around my waist and his lips on mine.

We both move back, but I stay in his arms, convinced I could stay there forever. Opening my eyes, I look up at Peter again to find him looking at me more seriously than before.

He takes a deep breath, as if preparing himself for something.

"Hope, I need you. I've needed you since I first knocked on your window. I might not have known it then, but I know it now. And I know I'll need you in the future. No matter how far away we are, no matter what happens, I'm lost without you. I love you. I'm pretty sure I have since the first time I heard you laugh."

"Peter, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying we'll text, we'll write letters, we'll Skype, we'll do everything humanly possible to make this work. I'm saying I want to be with you. Always." I smile, my eyes filling up.

He kisses me again. And that's when I realise.

Distance means so little, when someone means so much.

-----------------------------------

Vote & comment if you feel like it xo

Anyone in a long distance relationship? How's it working for you?