Unrequited

"They're just silly little things, it's wishful thinking if I were to believe he was doing them because he likes me."

"You're just in denial! Why are you refusing to believe the possibility he actually likes you."

I sigh, frustrated. "I don't want to embarrass myself just because I thought he's into me when he's not."

"He sat next to you at lunch! He could have sat next to Jakub instead! His best friend Jakub, but he chose you! In English he asked you if there was any homework. You caught him looking at you in Maths when you were in a bad mood because of Mr Albrit. He was obviously wondering if you were ok. All of these little things, and you're just going to call them coincidences??"

I look at my best friend as she lists all the reasons Hayden might like me back and will her to stop. I want to believe her. I want to believe her so bad. My unrequited crush on Hayden has been going on for years. To believe that he likes me back? My heart may actually stop beating.

I shake my head, "I won't risk it, Zara."

Her shoulders sink and she groans. "I just want to see you happy. Why won't you believe he likes you? You're gorgeous, funny, kind. Sarah, you're amazing. "

"I've seen the girls he goes out with. They're not girls like me. They're girls with long legs and flat stomachs."

"So what? You think because you're curvy, he won't go out with you?"

"I'm just saying I'm not his type."

"Sarah, no one knows his type other than him."

"Sometimes when I text him, it's like he doesn't want to talk to me. Its always short, one word answers."

"So? It's text, people stress when it comes to texting."

I shake my head once again, I can't let myself get my hopes up.

It's lunch the next day when I sit at our usual table in my usual spot next to Zara. There are 4 of us at the table already, Jakub and Hayden not yet here.

"Here they are." Zara says, nodding behind me.

I turn and see Jakub and Hayden walking towards us. Jakub sits down on the opposite side to me. I expect Hayden to sit next to me but he instead he says, "Hey Sarah, can I talk to you?"

"Yeah, sure." I get up and follow him, looking back just to see Zara give me a thumbs up. "What's up?" I ask, nerves bubbling at the bottom of my stomach.

He rocks back on his heels and scratches the back of his neck. "Um, well I was just wondering if you were free tomorrow? We could maybe go the cinema, see a film or something."

My breath catches in my throat. This can't be real, there's no way. "Is this a dare?"

His face falls and my heart sinks. Why? Why would I ask that? "No, I was just wondering if you were interested in going out sometime. It's-It's fine if you don't I-I understand I'm sorr-"

"No!" I shout slightly louder than necessary. "I would love to go to the cinema with you." I reply at a more reasonable volume.

His smile slowly starts to return. "Really?"

I nod, "Really."

"Well...great. Meet you there at 3?"

I smile back. "I'll be there."

Whilst he returns to the table I walk in the opposite direction, towards the girls toilets. Once I'm in there, I freak out.

"Oh my God. He asked me out. There's no way. How-" I stop myself and look into the mirror above the sink.

I'm going on a date with Hayden.

This doesn't happen to girls like me.

But I guess it just did.

----------------------------------------

Vote & comment if you feel like it xo

Have you ever been out with your crush?