Peter ✶

"Peter." Catherine waves her hand in front of my face and I flinch.

"Have you been paying attention to me?" She questions, sitting back in her chair.

"If I say no will you kill me?"

"You don't want me to answer that."

I nod slowly and tap my pencil against my mouth. "Sorry."

"Don't apologise to me, I can pass this test, it's you that's going to get kicked off the team if you fail again."

I groan and drop my head to the table with a thud. "I know, I know, but none of this makes sense!"

"Because you're not paying attention." Cath says, folding her arms. "I'm doing my best to help but if you're not even listening, what's the point?"

"You get to hang with the best striker on the football team?"

"Yeah, well, he won't be on the team much longer if he keeps failing."

"Ouch." I say, placing down my pencil.

"Look, I know you can do this. But only if you try."

"What do you think I'm doing? You think I'm staying behind till 5 every night with you because I want to?" I shout, frustration making my voice rise.

"Okay, my turn to say ouch."

"You know I didn't mean it like that." I reach for Catherine's hand but she pulls away.

"No, you did. I'm not the kind of person you'd ever spend time with normally, why would you enjoy my company?"

I close my eyes and let out a breath. "Catherine I-"

"Oh look, it's nearly 5, we should start packing away. No need to stay in each other's company more than we have to."

She starts shoving pens and papers into her bag, hand trembling slightly.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow." She says, practically running for the door.

"Cath, wait!" I call, following her out into the corridor.

I reach out to grab her arm and she stops.

"We didn't even get through the whole topic."

"Oh we did, you just weren't listening."

Shit.

"I-"

"You really don't need to say anything, Peter. Have a lovely evening."

~*~

"Um, hey, Catherine, can I talk to you a second?"

"Are you sure you want to be seen talking to someone like me?" She replies, slamming her locker shut and walking away from me.

"Ok now you're just being ridiculous."

"Ridiculous? Is it ridiculous that someone I gave up my time for, someone I enjoyed spending time with, someone I was starting to-" she stops talking and shakes her head, "you know what, forget it."

"You were starting to what?" I ask, taking a step closer.

"It doesn't matter."

"No, tell me. Starting to what, Cath?"

"Just leave it, Peter."

I take another step towards her and her gaze falls to my lips. "Starting to what?" I whisper, leaning closer.

"Nothing." She whispers back.

"It doesn't seem like nothing."

Her eyes flick to my lips again and I smile.

"That's what I thought." I say, before bringing my lips down to hers.

~*~
#ReadingListMarathon #WattpadShortStory