My claws are sharp, my teeth are bared. Watch me rip your flesh without a care.

Chapter Seventeen 

The ShadowClan cats chased the ThunderClan patrol out of camp, yowling in victory. Soon they will learn it's not a victory at all. I'm very proud of you, Froststar. He crouched outside their camp, ShadowClan cats streaming by not knowing he was there. Froststar spotted the brown pelt he was looking for, flashing a paw out as if hooking a fish out of water. The tom went flying, tumbling head over heels. Froststar grabbed his pelt and pulled him away from his clan mates. He quickly flipped him over, one paw on his neck one on his stomach.

"Hello, Marshstar," he smirked.

"Froststar! This attack was unjust," Marshstar snarled.

"That may be," Froststar replied smoothly. "But many, many more will come. Not just to your Clan, to all the Clans," he sneered. Marshstar's eyes widened. Pressing his claws into his throat enough to draw blood but not to kill him, Froststar leaned towards his ear.

"If you tell any Clan about this attack, I will rip every life from your body up on that Gathering tree, faster then any cat could react, and be gone before anyone could touch me," he spat, pulling away from a wide-eyed Marshstar and plunging into the forest after his Clan.

******

"How did it go?" Flowerpaw asked, bouncing up to the returning patrol. Cats began to slip out of their dens, gazing at the patrol curiously.

"Exactly as planned," Froststar purred. The two kits were dropped onto the ground. "Welcome to ThunderClan, Fiercekit and Marshkit," Froststar said. The kits looked around.

"It doesn't look that much different than ShadowClan," Marshkit observed.

"It has to be. The old tortoiseshell told me, it's the only way I can one day become leader," Fiercekit said. Froststar stiffened. Sageweed? 

Oh please, you've been thinking about snatching kits for awhile, I've decided to help you out

So you visited them? 

Yes, the ones who looked the most promising. Just to get you started.

"All right, into the nursery," Froststar said. The kits looked like arguing, but decided against it. Froststar heard Bloodkit's surprised mew from inside the nursery. Froststar leaped onto high ledge. "Clan, we have successfully showed ShadowClan you can't mess with ThunderClan. Remember, these kits came voluntarily. I don't know why, but ThunderClan must be more appealing," he said. 

Lame excuse. 

That's all I could think of, okay? 

It better be okay. Froststar quickly leaped off of high ledge and disappeared into his den.

******

Froststar slashed throat after throat, blood gushing out of the cat's bodies. They hardly put up a fight. Suddenly the blood became a river, tugging at his paws. He strained forward, pushing against the current. "Son! Stop this!" Froststar's head snapped up to see a brown tom with white paws and yellow-green eyes glaring down at him from a tall rock. Brackenfoot. My father. Froststar jerked around in the current so he could look up at his father more easily.

"Why should I? So far I've gotten everything I've ever wanted," he snarled.

"There are other ways to get what you desire," Brackenfoot said.

"Like what?" Froststar demanded.

"Hard work. Compassion. Loyalty," Brackenfoot answered.

"I've worked harder then any cat to get here. I show compassion, I have a mate don't I? Loyalty? I'm very loyal to my Clan. I'm going to make ThunderClan strong," Froststar said.

"By threatening and killing cats? By stealing kits?" Brackenfoot snarled.

"Don't tell me a leader has never threatened another cat. I kill only if I have to. Stealing kits is the best way to increase ThunderClan's population. They'll be young enough to forget about their old Clan and become loyal to ThunderClan," Froststar said. "I'm done with you now. Leave my dream." With that, he forced himself to wake up.

*****

It wasn't yet dawn when he woke up. Sighing, Froststar got out of his nest and walked over to the camp entrance. "Froststar, you're up early," observed Mousetuft, who was on guard.

"I couldn't sleep," he said, pushing past her and out into the forest. I might as well hunt. He had just picked up the scent of prey when the air shimmered, and Sageweed appeared. Although this time, she wasn't alone. Froststar recognized the ShadowClan tom Russetclaw immediately. He had been chosen by Sageweed to be one of his followers.

"You raided ShadowClan camp," Russetclaw growled. "And stole two kits."

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry Russetclaw, but-"

"It's fine," Russetclaw said quickly. It's fine? That surprised Froststar. "I mean, it can be fine," Russetclaw began. "On one condition."

"Oh really?" Froststar asked, examining his unsheathed claws. I could tear this cat to shreds if I needed to.

"If you help me take out Marshstar." Wow, this cat is full of surprises. Froststar looked up as Sageweed spoke.

"Russetclaw has been coming to the dark forest for a few moons now," Sageweed said.

"Marshstar is an old leader. Stuck on old Clan ways. It's time for a new evolution of warriors. It's time for leaders like us," Russetclaw sneered. A sneer began to inch its way on Froststar's own face, until all his teeth were showing.

"I like where you're going with this," Froststar chuckled darkly, Russetclaw and Sageweed shivering with excitement.