Death is just like closing your eyes. Would you mind if I told you to try?

Chapter twenty-two 

Froststar watched as all four of his kits tried to copy his hunter's crouch. Tigerkit's tongue was sticking out in the process. "Careful, Tigerkit! You'll bite your tongue off," Mistfeather purred. Froststar got up and went over to Darkkit. His rear end was sticking in the air, and his tail was lashing.

"Darkkit, even yourself out. Good, like that. Now still your tail. When you're hunting that will disturb grass and leaves," he said, then went over to Tigerkit. "Tuck your back paws in, and your fur is all fluffed out! Flatten it, you want to be as small as possible." Froststar walked over to Sprucekit, studying his crouch.

"That's good, Sprucekit, but your tail is straight in the air! Yes, lower it like that, and stop putting all that weight on one side, and bring your head down just a bit. Perfect." Lastly, he went over to Dawnkit. "That's very good, Dawnkit, but pick your tail up a bit, we don't want it dragging on the ground. And how are you supposed to see like that!" he exclaimed. Dawnkit had her whole face scrunched up in concentration, so her eyes were narrowed to tiny slits. They popped open at his words.

"All of you are doing wonderful!" Mistfeather exclaimed happily. "Try taking a few steps," she encouraged. They did, slowly creeping across camp as Mistfeather and Froststar followed, correcting them and giving them tips. Finally, they all flopped by the elder's den, tuckered out. 

Are you quite done? I need to talk to you. 

Yes, just wait.

That's what I've been doing.

"Want to share prey?" Mistfeather asked him.

"Yes- just let me go make dirt."

"Okay, just don't take too long, or I might eat all the prey," Mistfeather joked, trotting over to the well-stocked prey-pile, tail curled over her back happily. Froststar hurried over to the dirtplace, holding his breath as he slipped inside. 

What? 

WindClan is attacking tonight- while we're sleeping. Seedpod told me.

Got it. Do I have to guard or can you just wake me up?

I'll wake you up- not because I'm giving into your laziness but because you guarding and then WindClan magically appearing could cause suspicion.

Right. Like anyone would challenge me. 

Don't get a big head on me. Cats will try. 

Okay. I understand. Now can I go eat?

Of course. You'll need all your strength. Your kits are also coming along fine, by the way. When can I visit them? 

When they're apprentices.

Why? 

Because that's when I met you.

~~~~~~

WindClan! Sageweed's shriek jerked him awake. They're surrounding the camp. Start waking cats up. Quietly. Froststar wanted to snap at her that he knew that already, but there was no time. Every heartbeat was precious. Froststar slipped out of his den, treading quickly but silently over to the low hanging bush with the dirt scraped away from the middle to make a dip that was the warrior's den. 

"Wake up," he hissed, prodding Pigeonwing awake. He lifted his head groggily, his stirring waking his sister. "WindClan is surrounding our camp. Wake up the rest of the warriors. Quietly." Pebbleleap was already scrambling out of her nest. Coldrose lifted her head and caught Froststar's eye. She quickly made her way over to him. "WindClan is attacking. Get three other warriors to guard the nursery." She gave him a quick nod, and began to wake the warriors nearest to her.

Froststar padded over to the apprentice's den, which was a clump of tight fitting grass and vines that curved and made a den shape, it even survived the winter. Status? 

Creeping closer. They're separating themselves in groups. Hold on. There was silence, then he heard her voice again. Seedpod says they will be coming in two waves. 

Got it. Froststar quickly woke the apprentices. The first apprentice that awoke was Silverpaw. "Silverpaw. Go tell the elder's that we're about to be attacked. We don't want them to have a heart attack if they wake up to screeching," he whispered. She nodded, eyes narrowed to determined slits. ThunderClan would not be beaten today. 

Froststar! There's something else! 

What? 

Seedpod has told me that all of WindClan has been told to target you.