First I tiptoed and took things slow, now bloody murder is all I know

Chapter thirty-seven 

Quickflash sprinted through RiverClan territory, a wild smile on her muzzle. See me now, father? I'm serving my leader, aren't you proud? Quickflash chuckled. As the warrior code says, the Clan leader's word is law.

Keep running, turn left a bit, Sageweed said. Quickflash obeyed. Those reeds, right there! Quickflash signaled for the warriors behind her to walk with her tail. She stepped forward, ginger fur standing on end. Quickflash sprang forward, parting the reeds with her paws. She smiled a toothy, crooked grin, as three terrified queens and six kits stared back at her.

~~~~~~

A terrifying yowl hit her ears, but Cindertail stood her ground. She felt the other warriors tense around her. "Hold your positions," Wavestar commanded. Cindertail felt Troutpaw shaking beside her. The young gray tom looked terrified. He's only eight moons old. Don't worry, I'll protect you. I'm your mentor, so it's my job. At that moment, Froststar burst into camp.

A whimper escaped Troutpaw. Froststar stood, claws unsheathed and digging into the soft earth. His lime-green eyes were blazing, his white and spotted fur sticking up. His hackles were raised, and drool hung from his jaws. Cindertail could see fresh wounds on his body, but he seemed totally unfazed. "RiverClan," he snarled. "You have three options." At each word he spoke, drool dripped from his jaws. "Leave, join us, or die."

"No, we have a fourth option," Wavestar said, stepping forward bravely. "We choose to fight." A cruel grin spread across Froststar's face. A knowing look crept into his eyes.

"Then you choose to die." The fur on the back of Cindertail's neck stood up, and a cold breeze ruffled her fur. A dank, musty, rotten scent touched her nostrils. What the--? Next to Froststar, four shadowy warriors faded into view. They cackled, claws glittering. More and more appeared, surrounding the RiverClan cats. Oh StarClan, no. Please please no.

Froststar began to laugh too. "Poor, poor RiverClan. You have no chance."

"Actually, they do." Brackenfoot, the StarClan warrior said, and Froststar's father shimmered into view. Froststar's eyes widened with rage.

"You," he snarled. "I TOLD YOU TO STAY OUT OF THIS!" he marched toward the starry tom, causing the rest of RiverClan to shrink back in fear. He stood, a mouse-length from Brackenfoot. Fury radiated from his pelt. "You maggot-eating flea-pelted dungface!" Cindertail, and the rest of RiverClan, couldn't help but gasp. Does he really dare show this must disrespect to a StarClan cat?

"Don't talk that way to your father!" Brackenfoot snapped.

"You're not my father! My father abandoned me as an apprentice," Froststar spat. That's right. Brackenfoot jumped in front of Cragstar to save him from the fox. Brackenfoot's eyes softened.

"So that's what this is about. Son, I was just being a loyal warrior."

"Cragstar had nine lives! You only had one!" Froststar exclaimed. Wow. Is this really happening in front of me right now?

"You would want one of your warriors to sacrifice themself for you, wouldn't you?" Brackenfoot questioned. Froststar was silent for a few moments.

"Yes," he finally meowed. "Oh, I'm so sorry father."

"For everything that you've done?" Brackenfoot asked. Is that it? Will there be no battle? No bloodshed? A grin slid across Froststar's face.

"Nah. Just for this," he snarled, and before anyone could react, leaped onto Brackenfoot, slamming him into the dirt and pinning him. Brackenfoot's head slammed against the ground, and he was knocked out. RiverClan cats shrieked. "ThunderClan, attack!"