Chapter 4

Lucy and Gray sat at a table in the Guild Hall looking as if they were in deep thought. Next to them Wendy and Juvia looked at them with saddened faces. Gray didn’t look sad, he just looked confused and like he was thinking of solutions. He kept tapping his fingers on the wooden table while loudly slurping down a glass of ice water. Lucy kept sighing and looking off into the distance. She looked sad, and worried. Wendy and Juvia felt bad for them.

“Gray, Juvia doesn’t like seeing you like this.” Juvia whispered. Gray ignored her.

“Come on guys, it’s not that bad. You heard Natsu, he’s not going to stop teaming up with you guys because Master told him to team up with Ember today. He would never ever let that happen.” Wendy smiled, hoping her cheerfulness would rub off on her friends.

It didn’t.

Erza walked over to the table, her armor clanking and her sword swinging at her side. She put her hands on her hips and looked at Gray and Lucy with a disturbed expression.

“ENOUGH YOU TWO!!” She yelled while slamming both her fists down on the table.

Gray jumped out of his seat, while also taking his shirt off and accidently freezing his glass of water. Lucy screeched and fell backwards off her seat and onto the floor. Wendy looked down at her shocked, Lucy groaning. Juvia’s face turned bright red from the proximity of a half naked Gray so close to her face.

“GRAY CLOTHES!!” Erza yelled.

“Y...yes Erza!!” Gray stammered.

“LUCY OFF THE FLOOR!!!” she yelled to the floor.

“S...Sorry Erza!” Lucy whimpered as she climbed from the floor back onto her seat.

“Now, enough of this pity party. You know Natsu is still allowed to work with us, and that he is still going to. So stop being foolish. Lets get out and enjoy the day.”

Erza walked away, her shoulders held high, while her friends watched after her clearly defeated. She stopped and glanced over her shoulder. Every single one of them jumped out of their seats and fell into step behind her.

000000000000000000000

Ember and Natsu arrived at their destination on foot, with Happy flying above them. Much to Natsu’s relief, before they got onto the train Ember freaked and asked if it was close enough to walk. He gladly agreed to walk, no matter how far it was. But they had walked the entire way in silence, both either staring straight ahead or sneaking sideways glances at the other. They may have had the disdain of transportation in common, although for different reasons, but Natsu still was not willing to even let down a brick of  his walls. And Ember was in no way about to break those walls down.

“Now what do we do?” Ember asked.

“Gramps said there were two wizards causing problems in this town. We just have to find them.” Natsu replied.

“What if they find us first?”

“Doubt it. I already know where they are.”

“Yeah.”

The two wizards walked in step with each other towards the outskirts of town on the other side of where they were. As they twisted and turned through the cobbled roads they pondered in silence how well this mission would go. Natsu wondered if Ember would bring him down, or turn on him. Ember wondered if she would even be able to keep up with the legendary Salamander.

Within moments they reached the end of the road. Straw rooftops decorated the stone houses in this area of town. The trees shaded the neighborhood, and the gardens were a rainbow of beautiful flowers and herbs. It smelled lovely. Ember closed her eyes and breathed in deeply the smell of rosemary and honeysuckles. Natsu looked around the rooftops.