Chapter 5

Ember woke up with a start. The sun was shining in her eyes through an open window, and she could feel the warmth on her face. The pain in her ribs had subsided extremely, and she actually had energy. But she had no idea where she was. She started to breath heavy in a panic, throwing the covers off of her, when MiraJane ran into the room.

“Ember! You’re awake! How are you feeling?” She said in a soothing tone, and sat down beside her on the bed.

“Where am I Mira? How long was I sleeping?” Ember asked, rubbing her eyes.

“You are in the sick ward. You slept for 2 days.” Mira smiled.

“How did I get here?”

“Porlyusica brought you in. She found you in the woods.”

“Did she say anything??”

“She said she found you passed out in the woods with a giant hell hound!!”

“Uh….uh….”

Ember started to rub the scar over her eye. It was beginning to throb. That woman had seen her with Nunu. And Zeref. But she hadn’t said anything. But where was Nunu. She started to panic again.

“He’s okay. He’s sleeping on the floor at the foot of the bed. I’m surprised his snoring didn’t wake you up. No one knows about him. And I won’t tell. I understand how it can be hard to explain. I haven't even let anyone in here so that no one saw him.” Mira smiled and grabbed Ember’s hand, squeezing it tight.

“Thank you...so much Mira.” Ember stammered, tears building up in her eyes. “I don’t think anyone would want to see me anyways.”

“You're wrong!! Evergreen, Bickslow, Laxus and Freed all tried to get in. Cana almost fought me to get through. Good thing I’m stronger than all of them!”

“Oh wow. I’m shocked.”

“Oh! And don’t mention that I told you, but even Gray stopped by.”

“Gray??? Cold as ice-Gray??”

“Yes!! Cana told him off pretty badly in front of a lot of people that day you were hurt. I think he might feel bad.”

Ember and Mira both laughed. Ember squeezed Mira’s hand as a tear dripped down her cheek. Mira smiled brighter than the sun. To Ember, Mira really was like the sun to her. She brought light into her life anytime darkness wanted to take over. Her friendship made Ember genuinely happy, and she felt lucky to have her. Same with Cana and the Thunder Legion, even though they were all way more brash and intimidating. But she was shocked about Gray. It kept running through her head but she didn’t want to dwell on it too much. She didn’t want to get her hopes up at all.

Over the end of the bed popped up two pointy ears and two big horns. They dipped back down and then a large nose popped up, sniffing the blankets, and then sneezed. Mira and Ember laughed, and then Nunu lunged himself onto the bed and bombarded Ember with doggy kisses, his tail wagging so hard it made a wind like sound as it moved through the air. Mira was almost knocked off the bed by the hellhound's sheer size, but she only laughed and began to pet his thick fur. He whined happily.

Knock-knock.

Ember and Mira looked at each other, not knowing what to do. Nunu perked up, alert, and sniffed towards the door. His ears moved around, trying to hear something. Ember tapped at Nunu until he looked back at her. She whispered his name and nodded her head, and with a whine Nunu burst into flames and once again became a scythe and went into Ember’s hand. She leaned the weapon against the wall.

“Who is it?” Mira chirped.

“Dammit Mira if she is up you better let me in this room!!” Cana yelled from the other side of the door.