Chapter 12: The Knowns and Unknowns

After leaving the Headmaster's office Harry let his muscle memory lead him towards the Great Hall while he attempted to organize and identify all the new information presented to him in the span of twenty-four hours, or rather, since his birthday two months ago. Taking a moment to breath and assess his situation, Harry decided to break down all the new information into two categories: things he knew - the concrete facts that could be proven true with evidence he now possessed -, and the things he didn't know - the unknown, scary stuff that were probably the cause of Harry's current state of overwhelm.

'OK Harry, things I know: my mum casted a charm on me before she died that would lead me to my soul mate. The heart tattoo that marked the start of the spell came to me on my birthday this year. Two months later I get kidnapped by Voldemort and my true love is reveled to be his familiar, Nagini. She helps us escape and we make it back to Hogwarts and Dumbledore will allow us to stay here if she revokes her dark ways and promises to not hurt any student or teacher. OK good.'

'Next, things I don't know: how is it that I, as a wizard, can be soul mates with a snake? Is it because she's a magical snake? Is she a magical snake? I assume so, she seems smarter than most of the non-magical creatures I've seen back at my Aunt and Uncle's. Though I can't talk to any other creature than snakes, and my and Nagini's conversations in just a span of one day is the most I've ever actually talked to a snake. So I have no clue whether or not Nagini's intellect makes her magical or not. But I digress.'

'And what is Voldemort going to do when he realizes I basically stole his familiar? Can he tell his bond with her broke? Dumbledore said one time that Voldemort's relationship with Nagini seams to be the closest thing to love and friendship the man has ever had. So not only did I steal his best friend, but I destroyed the only positive family relationship he's ever had. That can't be good.'

'And how is Nagini handling this? I have no clue what her life before Voldemort was and how much the familiar bond with him actually affected her. She said she was in a 'negative state of mind' when she met him and that he manipulated her to become more violent than she was comfortable with. Does that mean she was some level of violent before and Voldemort just increased it? Will she miss their bond? Does she regret bonding with me?'

That last thought made his stomach turn to jelly and hands to shake. He didn't think he could survive if she refused him. shooing the negetive thoughts from his mind, he added a few more things to his 'things he knows' column. 'I know that I now have a strong urge to protect Nagini with every fiber of my being. Nothing matters more than her safety and happiness. And if what makes her happy is to one day return to Voldemort and leave me, then I would do it, even if it drives me to insanity. I would do it if she asked me.'

----

Harry and Nagini finally made it to the Great Hall where Harry was pulled out of his reverie by the loud shouts of a million conversations happening all at once that met him from the doorway of the double-doored dining hall. Harry drug his attention from the hall to meet the eyes of his mate, which he could see thanks to an addition to the invisibility spell that allowed him to be the only one to see the twelve foot python currently wrapped around his upper body. Nagini seemed to have also been in deep thought during the trip from the Headmaster's office as she was now appearing to shake the cobwebs from her head before drawing herself up to be eye level with Harry.

~Are you OK Nagini?~ He quietly asked, not fully ready to creep out everyone else by appearing to be hissing at his shoulder. ~I'm sure the talk with Dumbledore couldn't have been easy for you.~

~You're very sweet to ask, my child.~ She smiled as much as a snake could. ~Yes, the conversation with the headmaster wasn't the most enjoyable one I've ever had, but it was inevitable none the less. That's a part of being an adult, Harry: you must except that you will have to endure painful conversations from time to time.~ She sighed as she nuzzled into his chin. ~But I appreciate your concern for me.~

~I will always ensure your safety and comfort, Nagini.~ Harry answered, stroking the scales under her jaw, which she seemed to enjoy by the sighs of content he got in response. ~Though we've only just met officially today, I feel like I've known you forever and I feel driven to make sure you stay happy and safe.~

~You're too kind, kiddo, but I feel the bond is causing most of those intense feelings of yours.~ She broke eye contact by becoming very interested in the top button of his robe and her head and necked drooped down towards his collar.

~But Nagini...~

~Come on Harry, lets go have some dinner. We have our whole lives to talk.~ she looked back at him with kindness in her eyes, though Harry could sense the sadness seeping from her like a mist.

~Ok, lets go find some chicken. You eat chicken, right?~

~Yes Harry, I eat chicken.~ hisses of laughter from his mate made his heart swell as he made their way to the Gryffindor table to sit by his friends and a platter of baked chicken.