Chapter 29: Limitations in Communication

Harry was so embarrassed that he forgot the whole 'snakes can't speak English' thing. Harry looked at the headmaster with a blank stare. He had no clue how to proceed with the language barrier.

Dumbledore chuckled after a moment of awkward silence and his eyes sparkled. "I can see that communication is going to prove a bit tricky. We may need to stick to 'yes or no' questions." He paused and regarded the pair of snakes in the bed before him. "I assume you can still understand English?"

Harry nodded.

"Good. Now, when you decided to become a snake, you essentially gave up your ability to attend your normal classes here at Hogwarts. You can't brew a potion or charm something to fly if you don't have arms." Dumbledore shrugged as an apology for his bluntness. "Because you are still a student here until the end of the year, I can offer you housing in your current room until summer break. If you are still of attending age once you become human again and you would like to finish your schooling, you may, but will need to catch up on your studies with extra classes and tutoring. Does that make sense?"

Another nod came from the striped brown snake, though his eyes were in deep thought.

"I am sorry to say that I am unfamiliar with the serpent lifestyle. Are you able to live in the Forest in the winter comfortably? It is a week before December."

~Good question.~ Harry wondered, looking at Nagini. ~Can we?~

~Of course. I did for two years. We will need to burrow deep in the ground, and we enter a hibernation-like state. Its called brumation. it feels like falling into a deep sleep until spring. But if you would feel more comfortable staying indoors, we can do that too.~

~Which do you prefer?~

~I've done both and they are equally doable. However, our natural snake instincts tell us to brumate; if we choose not to, we will be pretty sluggish and sensitive to the cold.~

~Sounds like we are brumating then.~

Nagini nodded in response and snuggled close to him. ~I am beyond thrilled that I can share this life with you. You'll love it, I promise.~

~If its anything like what I have already experienced with you, then I know I will.~ He smiled, accepting her snuggles with some of his own.

A clearing of the throat caused both snakes to snap their attention back to the Headmaster, who was still waiting for their response. Harry knew he would have blushed if he could.

"So, will you be staying in the castle until spring?"

Harry shook his head 'no'.

"Will you be ok in the Forest during the winter?" Harry could see the concern fill Dumbledore's eyes.

Harry nodded, not sure how he could relay a comforting message to the elder man. Then, like she could sense Harry's concern, he felt Nagini moving away from him and towards a pile of unused blankets at the foot of the bed.

~Come here, Harry. Lets try to show him that we would be brumating.~

~Good idea.~ After looking up at Dumbledore to ensure he was paying attention, Harry followed his mate across the bed. Nagini shifted the blankets with her head until she could make a tunnel under the pile, then dove in with Harry following her.

"Ah!" Harry could hear the sound of understanding from outside the blanket mountain. "You will be hibernating."

Harry turned himself around as well as he would, still a little uneasy with working his new body. His head finally found its way from under the sheets, though it was several inches from the original tunnel they took to enter. He looked up at the Headmaster and nodded.

"Very well. Nagini?" He called for the other snake under the pile of sheets and continued to speak after she unburied her head beside Harry's. "You are the elder and more experienced mate in this situation. I expect you to keep Harry healthy and away from harm. Can I trust you with this?"

~Of course.~ She replied before relaying her answer to the human by nodding, then nuzzling Harry's head and licking the area between his eye and snout. This sent chills down Harry's spine and made him wish they could be dismissed from the hospital sooner then later.

"Thank you. Now, we should deliver an explanation to the rest of the school, in case they see you roaming the school corridors and grounds. Everyone is currently in the Great Hall having breakfast. A perfect place to introduce you both." Dumbledore, who had sat down on the chair beside the bed now stood up and opened the curtain. "Please follow me."

----

Harry and Nagini watched Professor Dumbledore from the entrance of the teacher's door to the Hall, nervous energy sparking between them, mostly originating from Harry. ~You think this will go over well Nagini? They all thought I was shagging random snakes before this, and now I am one. What if they shun us? What if they try to hurt you?~

~They won't hurt us, dear. We are twelve foot venomous pythons. Who in their right mind would try to bother us?~

~You obviously haven't met some of my classmates. Dumbledore has to remind us every year that 'the Forbidden Forest is forbidden' for a reason.~

Nagini chucked. ~Regardless, Harry, everything will be fine.~ she nuzzled her snout to his, pressing their mouths together. ~We will handle this together. Forever and always.~

~Forever and always.~ Harry agreed before being cut off by the commanding voice of the Headmaster as he began to address the Hall.

'Oh Merlin I hope this goes well.' Harry swallowed. 'Please don't hate me.'