Chapter Two

I saw them right away. The twins sitting on the swings of the playground. My mom stopped the car, sensing my longing to be with my friends. I silently thanked her with a look in the rearview mirror and jumped out. Scott jumped out also and went to go join his group of friends playing basketball on the court.

"Hey, guys!" I squealed, wrapping Brooke in a tight hug followed by my handshake with Xavier. I was so happy to see them and I could tell they were happy too. The cool part was however long we were apart during the winter, we could instantly reconnect in minutes.

"Where's Cameron?" I asked looking around. He was usually always next to the twins.

"Oh girl, you're gonna want to hear this." Brooke shook her head and grabbed my arm to bring me to a swing next to hers. We both sat down and she straightened her short shorts.

I looked at her face for the first time since last summer. She had changed. Her dark olive skin was a little lighter in the sun and her face seemed skinnier. She was still as pretty as ever. Her soft face and green eyes lured everyone in.

"Okay, first of all, Cameron has turned into quite the hottie." she laughed and wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"And?" and asked her playfully. Cameron had been a hottie from the beginning, everybody knew it.

"So anyway, apparently Cameron's really close family friends just got a camper next to them." she looked at me anxiously, as if she was hiding something good.

"And?" I repeated. I knew that she was finding entertainment in making me wait.

"They. Have. A. Son." she squealed to herself and bounced in her seat. If I could explain Brooke in one word, it would be boy crazy.

"Details." I edged closer to her in my swing. From the corner of my eye, I could see Xavier rolling his eyes at our playful conversations although by now he was used to it.

"He is Cameron's age and I haven't seen him yet but I have a feeling he is super cute." she winked at me heartedly and continued to sway on the swing.

"Do you know his name?" I asked, trying to seem disinterested in the topic.

"Jake. Cameron is bringing him over here in ten minutes."

"What? Ten minutes!" I didn't expect them to already be at the campground.

"I know! I've been waiting for you, and now we have to go get ready!" Brooke grabbed my arm yet again and started pulling me toward the small slope that led to more campers, including mine and hers.

We ran down the hill as fast as possible, leaving Xavier behind. I didn't quite know what she had in mind for 'getting ready' as she said, but knowing Brooke it would not be taken lightly. When a thought came to her mind it usually didn't leave without completion.

We finally reached her campsite, sweating from the trip down, and I felt a rush of familiarity. I had been here so many times throughout my life it felt normal, and everything looked exactly the same as always.

"Okay, so I got some new makeup for my birthday and I bought a new cute shirt that you should totally wear," she said it more as a demand, not an offer. I stayed silent, knowing better than to try to argue.

Walking through the screen door, I headed toward her small crowded room in the back of the camper through habit.

The room was no bigger than a normal bathroom would be- campers are not very generous with space. It had blank sandy colored walls and a bed on either side of the room, leaving only a foot or so of space in between. I noticed Xavier's side was cleanly placed, everything in its order and folded nicely. Brookes side, however, had bags of shoved clothes, hair products, and plenty of other materials scattered all over. You could barely see the bed itself.