Chapter Four

We stayed out that night until a campground worker came by in a golf cart and told us it was time to leave. I walked back with Brooke and Xavier silently, however, I had to listen to Brooke chat endlessly. I noticed her face was red from yelling heatedly throughout the soccer games. That might have been the reason none of the other kids had approached us that night because Brooke was yelling so fiercely.

"Did you see the way Wyatt kept looking at me?" she asked squealing to herself. I loved Brooke, but sometimes her boy craze could become too much at a time.

"Yes Brooke, we all noticed," Xavier said, again glued to his phone texting.

I laughed, yelling goodbye to them as I turned into my own campsite. Scott had snuck off into the woods to do god knows what with Grady, and I'm sure that it was some sort of substance that would reek on his shirt later.

I got into the camper realizing the lights were all off which meant that my mom was already asleep in her room. Thank god, because I knew she would have given me a hard time for not helping her unpack earlier.

I jumped onto the couch, having the realization that I was honestly exhausted. I closed my eyes, drifting into sleep, feeling satisfied with the night I had with my friends.

<><><><>

The only thing that I hated about the campground was having to leave. Having to know that your friends would be staying for an extra night of fun together and you would be sitting at home, desperately wishing you were with them.

My mother had an emergency call from work which meant that instead of having a fun 3 night weekend with my friends, I was having to leave 2 nights early. Not fair at all.

But I got that my mom needed to get work done and there would be plenty other nights with my summer friends so I decided to protest. I ran to the playground where we always met in the morning to tell my friends the news.

"Morning sleepy head. Where you been?" Jake asked like he was already accustomed to our unspoken rituals. I kind of liked how Jake and Chloe so easily became our friends.

I noticed that everyone was dressed and ready for a day of fun and I got a pang of jealousy in my stomach.

"I'm really sorry guys. Emergency at my mom's work. I have to leave in 15." I mumbled sitting down in the grass next to Chloe. She put her head on my shoulder, sighing loudly.

"But you just got here."

"That's okay, let's just make the most out of our fifteen minutes. We will all see each other next weekend." Jake said shrugging his shoulders.

We played would you rather for the next ten minutes, coming up with the craziest ideas we could muster. I have to say, Chloe was the champion.

"Okay, okay," Cameron laughed, trying to pull himself together, "how about a different game." we all thought about it.

"Truth or dare Leah," Jake questioned, looking at me.

"Dare."

"Leah! Time to go!" I heard from a distance.

"Shoot." it was Scott in the car with my mom waiting for me. It was time to go.

"Bye Leah," Chloe said smiling at me.

"Yeah see ya, Leah. Guess we will have to finish the game next time." Jake said, giving me a wink. I think he meant it to be funny, but it still made me blush.

I ran back to my mom's car and waved to everyone. The ride back was uneventful and slow, creeping along like a slug. I replayed the way Jake was winking at me over and over. I already couldn't wait for next weekend.

***this one was pretty short, but the story is going to be getting a lot better soon. Hope you enjoyxxx