Chapter Five

"Fine! You've worn me down!" my mother yelled, throwing her hands in the air dramatically. I had been begging her for three days straight. Finally!

Cameron had texted me on Tuesday that his parents and Jake's parents were going to something the coming weekend so Jake and he would be alone. I texted Brooke and she said Xavier had a swim meet then so her parents were going, but she guilted her mom into letting her come with me.

I told Scott the whole story, and he agreed to try to get mom to let us go up alone that weekend. However only to hang out with Grady and Wyatt without our mom up his ass about everything. So together we put on a show of "please"-s and "this is so unfair"-s until we had finally worn her down. It was now Friday and we would be going in a few hours.

I was giddy at the thought of a weekend alone with my friends. Now that we were older, there were a lot more activities at hand. I wasn't really much of a party girl at all, but what's life without taking a few chances right? A little fun wouldn't hurt and I'm sure my friends felt the same way.

<><><><>

It was 2 hours later, and Scott had been driving for 35 minutes (I had been counting because I was so bored). Riding shotgun with my overflowing duffel bag in the back, I planned what I would wear when getting to the campsite. This weekend I was prepared to dress to impress. Brooke would be proud of me.

"Can you turn that disgusting music down?" I asked impatiently. Scott had been blasting rap music for the whole ride. I think Grady would be proud of him.

"So what exactly are you going to be doing this weekend?" he asked smirking, having a few ideas in mind.

"What does that supposed to mean?" I asked, shoving him.

"Just seems like Jake is taking a liking to you," he stated, shifting in his seat and staring straight ahead at the road. His words took me by surprise. Did Jake like me? I mean, I guess he was paying attention to me, but I wasn't really used to any boy liking me. I was invisible to other boys, or at least that's how it seemed to me.

I started braiding my strawberry blonde hair into two pieces as something to do with my hands. We reached the gate right as I finished my other braid and I sat a little straighter in my seat.

"Want me to drop you off here?" Scott asked. I looked over to the playground and saw that Brooke, Jake, and Cameron were sitting on the swings again.

"Nah just bring me down to the site. I wanna get unpacked and ready before I meet up with them."

"Okay, but I am leaving the campground once I drop you off. Grady said there's some party like 20 minutes away so I will probably just crash there."

So I would have the camper to myself? "Scott are you sure that's..."

"Remember Leah, we promised we wouldn't snitch to mom, whatever happens, this weekend."

"Yeah, I remember. Just be safe." I wagged my finger at him. Even though we didn't always get along, him getting in trouble made me apprehensive. Changing his mind was not an option, however.

<><><><>

I had wished Scott fun (safe fun) at the party and had changed into another outfit. It was a tight white shirt, showing a little stomach, and light high waisted jeans. I put on a little makeup and popped some gum in my mouth. I actually wasn't sure what tonight would bring, but I knew that it would be fun.

I walked past the screen door, making sure to close it tight behind me. The gravel crunching under my feet was the only sound noticeable around me. I took in a deep breath of fresh trees and falling leaves and felt relaxed. I could describe the camper in many ways but the best way to describe it was relaxing. It could take the stress out of everything in your life and just let you live a little.

Walking up the slope, I saw my friends had moved into the pavilion. Chloe and Cameron were sitting on one side while Jake sat across from them and Brooke sat on top of a picnic table next to them. I sped up my walk and went to meet them.

"Hey, guys," I said, happily sitting down next to Jake.

"Hey look who shows up," Brooke replied not looking up from studying her nails.

"Yeah sorry I'm late. I had to help Scott take things out of the car, he's going to a party tonight."

"Scott's your brother?" Chloe asked surprisingly.

"I can see it. They look a lot alike." Jake said. I noticed that he had inched a little closer.

"Yeah, he is." I blushed.

"So what are we doing tonight?" Chloe asked, pushing some hair out of her eyes with her perfectly manicured hand. She looked nervous like she was trying to fill the silence. I could see that her face was pink. I looked down and I was startled by what I saw. Cameron's hand was locked in hers, resting in the seat between them. I could not believe it. I had known Cameron for such a long time and I never pictured him with a girlfriend, much I thought of like Xavier. They were my brothers.

Cameron was looking away at the moment, so I tried to get Chloe's attention nonchalantly. She looked at me, eyes wide, and I mouthed 'oh my god' and made an attempt to point to her and Camerons embrace. She nodded and mouthed back 'I know' to me.

<><><><>

"What time is it anyway?" Chloe yawned.

"It's only 8:45." I laughed. She seemed to be tired however I was feeling wide awake.

"Oh my god," said Brooke, startling me. She had been silent for awhile now, scrolling through her phone uninterested in our conversations.

"What?" Jake asked. She was staring intently at something in the distance. We all turned and saw that Wyatt was walking up the slope.

"Yo, where's Scott and Grady? They leave without me?" he asked, coming up and sitting next to Brooke immediately.

"Yeah, sorry. They left like two hours ago." I replied.

"Eh, I'm not really feeling up to partying anyways. Mind if I join?" he asked, putting an arm around Brooke.

"Not at all. Why don't we all go to the activity center." Brooke answered. Leaning into Wyatt's arms, she seemed content for the first time all night.

So we all got up and headed to the other side of the pavilion into the closed room called the activity center. I flicked on the light, which was half out and flickering.

"Let's just turn on this lamp over here," Chloe said. She moved over to a lamp near the wall and plugged it in. It was as bright as we had hoped, but it did the job. The light cast shadows around the shapes in the room. I could not see the details of anyone's faces, just the overall components.

Wyatt shut the door behind us and sat down next to Brooke on a musty old couch that was probably bought in a garage sale. Brooke leaned into him again and closed her eyes. I guess with those extra days that I had been gone they had gotten to know each other a lot better. It made me sad however that she hadn't told me anything.

I sat on the couch resting at a 90-degree angle to Brooke and Wyatt's while Jake sat on the chair that was squeezed between the two couches. Chloe and Cameron sat on the other so that we were all in a half circle.

"So," Jake broke the silence and everyone looked over at him, "how about we finish that game of truth or dare?"