Chapter Three

I walked up to deck between the camp store and the pool. Jake came over and unlocked the gate for us and we put our stuff on a chair. I guess it was lucky because we were alone and usually the pool was crowded. Xavier and Cameron were already doing laps around the edges of the pool, yelling and challenging each other.

I just happened to notice that Jake was waiting for us, with his shirt off might I add. His abs were observable from my distance, and he was built pretty muscular. I remembered that I still had to change and before he caught me staring at his flawless abs, I made a dash for the bathroom. What was wrong with me? I hardly knew the guy and I was already fantasizing. I needed to stop.

I changed as quickly as possible, not wanting to miss a moment with my friends. I stuffed my clothes into the string bag I had brought and rushed to check my face in the dirty mirror and wash my hands. Trying to fix my hair, I saw a girl about my age waiting behind me.

"I'm sorry," I said quietly and moved out of the way.

"Oh, it's no problem." she gave me a sweet, familiar smile. Her light hair went down to her waist and I noticed that she was wearing a pretty floral printed swimsuit. So I guess we wouldn't be the only ones swimming after all. I had a pang of jealousy of how pretty she was.

I left the bathroom, leaving her to wash her hands, and walked back to the pool area. The sun was shining down brightly on my pale face, which made me grateful because I was shivering with nervousness. I hated people seeing me in my bikini. I wrapped my arms around my stomach to shield myself and examined the pool. Everyone was swimming around, playing Marco-polo. Well, everyone except Jake. He was sitting on another chair, laughing at everyone in the pool playing silly games. We made eye contact and my breath caught.

"You going in?" He asked, still laughing.

"Yeah, I think so," I said. I hope he heard me because I was speaking so quietly. I heard the gate open and we both looked in its direction. The pretty girl from the bathroom was walking in and Jake stood up calling her over.

"Leah, this is Chloe," he said, walking her over to our chair full of stuff. Oh great, he knew her.

"Nice to meet you! I'm glad there's someone else my age around here. This place is awesome." she smiled at me and I returned the gesture.

I was going to agree with her when it hit me. Chloe was Jake's sister. Phew!

"It's nice to meet you too. Wanna join?" I asked motioning to our friends swimming. She nodded her head, obviously glad for the invitation and Jake, Chloe and I all jumped in.

<><><><>

It had been an hour or so of swimming, but I hadn't been counting. My fingers were starting to prune, and my legs and arms were tired of treading water.

We decided to hang out at the playground again and just talk. I was really starting to like Chloe. We had been partners for a few water games, and I could already tell that she was really sweet and funny (a lot like her brother). We all gathered on the swings and started talking about anything and everything.

That's what I loved about my camper friends. Even if we had nothing to talk about we still made it fun.

"What about you Leah?" Jake asked, bumping his swing against mine and smiling at me. Everyone was looking at me, waiting for an answer.

"Huh?" I asked, embarrassed that I had not been listening.

"Coffee or blue moon ice cream?" he asked, tilting his head to the side.

"Coffee definitely," I said without a second thought. Jake laughed and high fived me.

"Finally, someone who understands ice cream!"

"Hey losers!" I heard from the end of the grass. I sighed disappointedly realizing that it was Scott and Grady and Wyatt. Great.

"Hey," Jake answered, obviously he didn't know how shitty those guys could be. Especially Grady.

"Whose this Lee?" Grady asked me motioning to Chloe and Jake.

"This is Jake and this is Chloe," I said as dully as I could. Jake and Chloe both gave him their matching smiles.

"Hey man," Jake said nodding his head.

"We are going to play soccer, wanna join anyone?" Scott asked looking at everyone. Xavier and Cameron got up, ready to play, but Jake wasn't as willing.

"I'll stay here, thanks," Jake replied. Chloe surprisingly also got up to play although I knew that she could kick their asses. I could already tell she was that kind of girl.

They got set up in the small soccer field which was inconveniently right behind the playground. I heard Wyatt quietly say hey to Brooke as he walked past to the field. Brooke had liked him since summer 14. She looked my way and mouthed 'wow'. I just rolled my eyes at her jokingly and turned my attention to the boys playing soccer.

"Why aren't you playing?" I asked Jake without taking my eye off the game.

"Just not my thing I guess. I would rather stay here," he said calmly, also watching the game.

We stayed there silently for 2 games of soccer until it got dark. The silence seemed to be filling and comforting, not awkward at all. Everything smelled like water and sweetness. The heat of the summer air made me feel light and happy. It had been a good first night, and there were plenty more to come.