《Chapter 19 》Injured

"Hey? Wake up, you've been asleep long enough" I wake up when I feel a weight repeatedly hitting my chest.

I slowly open my eyes, and immediately the sun stings my eyes. "What? No, let me sleep" I turn around and hide my face from the sun. But I suddenly get pushed off, and I falls down face first on the ground.

I get up and see Adam, sitting on my bed. "I told you to wake up" rubbing my eyes, I get up and stare at him. "What time is it" "we're about to leave for the first activity, you shouldn't be sleeping"

I fall down beside him and try to wake up. "What are we going to do?" "I don't know.. they told us to go to the park" I get up and look around the room, still half asleep "there's a park?" I ask confused, maybe it's because I was talking with everyone, or it was because he wasn't, but I didn't notice a park anywhere near the hotel.

"Yeah, it just a couple of miles from here" I look around, trying to find my phone "what time is it?" "You just asked that" he laughs and I sit back down. "Do I really have to go?" I complain "yes, unless you're sick, but you're not" "how do you know?" I ask playfully "

I don't, but you just confirmed it" he gets up and walks towards the door "just get ready and come to the lobby" he walks out, and I start getting my clothes.

I found my phone underneath my blankets, but when I try to turn it on, it's dead.

After putting it in a charger, I head out and join my class.

-

"Okay, I hope all of you are here. If not, too bad" we all gather around the teachers at the park, which really wasn't that far. I don't get how I didn't see it before. "Let's continue" everyone goes silent and we all listen to the explanation

"so, after a lot of thinking we finally though of something all of you can do, and it might be cliche, or some of you may think it's a childish activity, but there nothing better anyone of us could think of" we all go quiet and stare in confusion

"It's a scavenger hunt" they continue, I could hear some people complain. "Everyone make teams of 2, or 3 but only if you don't have a choice, you can't do it on your own" the teacher leaves the group and everyone starts making teams, so does our group.

"So how are we going to do this?" I ask as I turn around "well, we have 7 people..so that means we'll have a group of 3" Daniel explained

Suddenly I get dragged back by Emily "we'll be a team" "what" confused I stare at her "then Adam, you're with me" Rachel says as she grabs him to her as well

"Well, then I guess it's us 3" Ein shrugs as he looks an Daniel and Jacob. "We're going to win" Emily proudly says to Rachel "we'll see about that" she defends, she grabs Adam and starts walking away, not soon after Emily drags me along as well.

-

"What was that about?" We started walking through the park, looking for clues "what do you mean?" She asks looking around enthusiastically "You and Rachel, yesterday I looked like you were becoming friends" "oh we are"

I stop walking and look at her confused "are you sure? It didn't look like that back there." She stops, but doesn't turn around "oh, it's just a little competition, just for fun...don't worry" i give her a confused look, but she doesn't notice
"hey?" She turns around "can we talk about.. last time"
"last time?"

I take a step closer "Yeah.. about, that day at the cafe.." I realized what she was talking about and get quiet "what do you want to talk about?" She looks down

"about something Tyler said" shocked I look back at her "wh-what did he say?" She looks away, and stays quiet for a while, but suddenly looks up

"hey look, I think I found a clue" She runs over to a nearby tree and disappears behind it "w-wait, hold on" I run after her, on my way there I almost trip over a rock, but manage to keep my balance.

She appears from behind the tree with a big smile, and a note in her hand "I found it!"

I give her a thumbs up, and she starts reading the note. I look around and see all the other groups looking for a similar note. "Is this a good one?" I ask her as she starts looking confused "I think so" she tells me it leads to a different place in the park, and guides me to it.

-

We make it to the next clue, which turned out to be on the other side of the park. But when we got there, Rachel and Adam were already there

"hey! We found this first" Emily screamed as she started running towards them "no, we did! See?" She hold up the note and took a step back, I slowly walked next to them and just stood there, watching them argue

"no, look. We found the note that led us here" she showed her our note "doesn't matter, I found this one first" Emily took a step forward and tried to take the note from her hand, she held it up above her hand and took a step back.

They almost bump into us, but I manage to avoid it. But instead of finding a solid place to stand on, my foot just kept sinking. I suddenly feel a sharp pain, shoot up my leg. And I fell to the ground.

The girls stop arguing and both walk over to me "Nathan?! Are you okay?" Adam asks, as he held out his hand to help me up, but when tried putting my weight in my foot, the pain was excruciating. I fall back down and everyone looks at me worried "whoa, slow down. I'll get a teacher" Rachel holds out her hands and then walks off to the entrance of the park.

"I'm sorry.." Emily apologizes and she sits down next to me "it's not your fault" she looks at me, with a guilty look "I shouldn't have been acting so childish" she says holding her hand behind her head.

"no, I know how competitive you can get" I smile and he smiles back, still not looking at me directly.
Rachel and the teacher come running back and they help me back to my room, they tried having me walk while leaning on them, but it ended in me pretty much being carried all the way back.

-

"Well..this sucks" I was sitting in my bed, with an Icepack on my ankle. "we're so sorry this happened" Rachel apologized again "it's fine, it'll heal" I answered leaning back against my pillow "but what are we going to do for the rest of the trip?" Emily asked.

I almost forgot about that. "I guess I won't be able to join you from now on" they both looked at me disappointed

"hey? Shouldn't you be finishing the search?" I ask trying to cheer them up "I don't think we should" Rachel answered "why not? You can still try to win right. It didn't look like anyone else was even remotely close to fining the price" Adam joined me. "Are you sure?" Emily asked, beginning to look a bit better "Yeah, you two go win this, I'll stay here to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid"

Both of the girls look at each other, they nod and happily run out of the room.

"Why aren't you joining them?" I ask Adam as he sits down beside me. "I told them, to make sure you don't get hurt again" he smiles "you don't trust me?" I ask jokingly "Well, not really" he laughs and gives me a little push "shut up"

I lean my head on his shoulder and let out a sigh "why is it always me" he chuckles and leans on me as well.

I get my phone, now fully charged. I look and see I got a message.

----------------------------------------------------
Amy
Nathan, I need your help...