Who are you? - part 1

Reader's POV

"Y/N !" ...okay ... excuse me ... it's not like I'm fighting for human rights over here or anything. I don't understand this man - sleep deprived yet yells like a madman. "What's wrong with you, Alexander !" I yell back more from instinct than mean spirit. "Oh, nothing. Washington wants us to meet some dude Thomas Jefferson ". I stand up from my chair and pay no attention to the walls around me hugged by shelves upon shelves filled with book after book. Even so I try my best not to knock over a special little structure. A book against another against another - it was a continuous cycle of books leaning on each other.  A sweet little house with a better structural integrity than our nation. Maybe Philip would be better at running this country. Once, Lexi brought Philip at work, because office space is totally going to keep the little fella entertained. Philip had a small venture to Washington's office , followed by John Jay, James Madison, James Wilson, Morris and many more - until he stumbled into my office. It wasn't my first time meeting him otherwise I might have screamed. The little sunshine noticed the books and had this glint in his eyes. He was up to something but the day was so dry and boring I was about to let him get away with almost anything.

After writing for a while I realized that it was quiet .. too quiet . If Philip goes missing - I'll kill everyone in this building and then myself. The thought alone was enough to make me stop writing and frantically look around. Fortunately there he was , next to one of the shelves - building a tiny. I'm guessing he felt me looking at him so he turned around and gave me a bright smile. Like any other kid I have no idea what is going through his little head so when he stood up and speed walked towards my desk I just watched in curiosity. He was on his toes and grabbed a letter that was sitting on the edge of my desk. It was a letter that had came in the previous day, more elegant than any other letter I had ever received but I suppose it was this exact elegance that completed Philip's house so well.

Lexi took note of my weird steps diverging from my usual conduct and since he thinks me a fool the tables need to be turned. I smile at the memory of him tripping over himself with a quill behind his ear leaving droplets of ink on his shoulder while yelling "Philip ! Philip !" I whisper yell pretending to be Lexi on that day. "Not funny. He went to George Washington's office! " the drama queen responded "What do you think he did there ? " I query holding down my laughter  "You need to understand that I do not know! Both him and Washington outright refuse to tell me! " The paranoia in his voice is distant yet still holding on. "I'd bet my life earnings that they had a tea party" is an idea I voices as calmly as I could and in all honesty I did my best. It was not long until my chuckles escaped me at the image of our intimidating president sitting at an ankle tall tea table, sipping a hypothetical beverage while nodding along to whatever bizarre political debate he had gotten himself into with a literal child. I fight off the smile which out up an honorable effort to linger on my features.  As per usual I wrap an around Lexi's shoulder in a loose hug. "I hope you are done mocking me? " despite his words his face has brightened up considerably " Ay, ay , captain. Lead the way."

"Believe it or not small segments of the public consider all our actions to be staged as if we were in a play" there is no better way to spend time with someone like Alexander than slowly putting him on edge with other's foolishness. "In all honesty, I buy it" my smirk is not easy to miss though it seems that my crystal clear attempts to get a rise out of our little politician do nothing to stop him from calling out falsities. "What on Earth are you talking about. We are the government! If there's anyone that would know if things were stages or not it would be us! All of it nonsense as the alternative is Washington keeping major secrets from his right hand man which seems unwise." The rest of our walk is spent trying to convince Lexi that everything is a lie. 

Once at our destination I reach for one side of the double doors while Lexi mans the other. "See, isn't it weird how in sync we did that?" before my companion could respond Washington gave us a casual greeting "I would believe you two are right on time" and yes the only thing that makes this man not so intimidating is the smile he offers us. As Lexi goes to stand next to our president I give a glance over to Madison. He is known to be the spiting image of tranquility yet somehow today's either past or future events have him all red faced. "I don't mean to pry, Madison. However I do want to ask what has you so flushed" It took one sigh for the dam to break open which surely would not have happened were we not office neighbors "Yes I do. Thomas is a respectable gentleman yet I suppose all that respectability made him forget to inform his so called dear friend that he shall be leaving for France. I had to find out by a third party." Thank you for giving me a reason to dislike him "I felt that. Hold him accountable and make him aware of his obligations once you see him" I hold back from continuing to say 'and for my entertainment rip him apart' "One second... Is my upset that clear?" the worry in his voice is understandable, no matter what happens Madison has always been the one to patiently listen to whatever the other party has to say before maintaining a civil conversation "It's nothing you can't chalk up to a recent sickness. Besides if you were to ask for my opinion I think he needs to see you angry and acknowledge what he has done wrongly" pleasantries are always welcomed around me but in all honesty I can't wait to return to my office and get away from people into a world where I can say whatever it is that I want without the need for politeness.

Before long a carriage pulls up before us and comes to a stop ...