36

Welcome back, it's been a year

Go all the way to the bottom for a note about Enid's character in this book BEFORE READING THIS CHAPTER
___
Thank you to @gaboy0124 and @daddy_lani for helping me with this chapter!
_________

Ariana
I adjust the bandage on his face as I kissed him on the cheek softly, I could see his cheeks redden as we walked together to the bonfire.

Surprisingly, there are barely any adults around. Mostly just teenagers that I've never seen in my life.

"I remember some kids here from a while back.." Carl mumbles under his breath. "Well why won't you go say hello? I'll be near the fire" I reply.

He looks at me and furrows his eyebrows, biting his lip. "Are you sure?.." he asks and I nod. "Yes of course, go have fun" I stand on my toes as I kiss his forehead.

"Besides, we have the group on the other side over there.." I point far away from us as I see Rick, michonne and Daryl speaking away from the fire.

He smiles and hugs my tightly before heading to a group of kids at the far side of the gate.

I look around in curiosity, the laughing of humans and the crackling of the fire along with outdated music from the radio, I take a deep breath.

I finally feel at peace. I finally feel safe.

As I scan the crowd of people, I spot Enid, sitting by the fire and warming her hands.

I walk over to her and sit down beside her. "Hey" I smile and she looks over at me. Her green eyes widening slightly as she does.

"Hey.." she mutters. "Why are you alone?" I ask. "Just waiting for a couple people.." she replies.

"Is Carl here too?" She asks. I raise my eyebrow, "uh, y-yeah.. he is here. He's with his friends by that drink bar looking thing" I point over to where the boy is and she nods.

"Hm.." she replies as she looks away. I wipe my hands on my jeans in slight uncomfortableness.

"I'll be right back, I have to use the bathroom real quick"

I nod, "alright I'll see you in a bit!" I smile as she gets up and walks away. I sigh and stare at the fire.

I soon feel somebody sitting next to me and I instinctively look over.

I see a girl with jet black hair tied into many pretty braids, her ebony skin complexion lightened by the fires light as a couple freckles dotted her face gently. She looks at me as I notice her beautiful green eyes.

Which is rare to see on a person from her origin.

She tucks her hair behind her ear as she smiles at me. "Hey, I'm mckaylah" she smiles. "I'm Ariana, nice to meet you" I smile back as we shake hands.

"Are you new here?" She asks and I nod. "Yes, actually I came here with my group over there." I point to the other side where some of the people in my group were.

She looks over and nods, "I see, so you're from Carls group?" She asks and I nod. "Yeah I'm actually his.. uh.. his girl..friend"