Jezebel

Name: Jezebel
Author: Precious_Nkem
Genre: Historical fiction
Status: Ongoing

~•~

She raised a hand to touch him again, but this time he caught hold of her small wrist.

"Are you alright?" Ahab allowed his worry show on his face. The girl sounded disturbed.

"No, I'm not," she answered before pulling her hand from his grip and carefully removing her veil.

Ahab sucked in a breath. In all his short years, he had never seen a girl more... pleasing to look at. She still had a young face but her catlike eyes, pert nose and small lips were arranged in such a way that was almost too perfect. So mesmerising--unfairly so. Now he understood why the veil was necessary.

"Put it back on," Ahab said in haste, looking around in discomfort at the same time. It was not normal for a Sidonian to unveil her face to a stranger.

"What? You do not find me beautiful?" She sounded self-conscious and sad, a sharp contrast from the forward front she was putting up earlier.

Ahab shook his head then forced a smile. "I would give you an answer if you put your veil back on."

She first eyed him with suspicion then carefully replaced her covering. "So?"

"Yes, I find you beautiful." Ahab blessed her with a quick genuine smile, hoping to make her feel better. She took in a sharp breath before looking away and bouncing on her feet. They were silent for a moment before Ahab realised he had to return to his father.

"What is your name?"

She shook her head then looked up at him in a coy manner. "If you let me touch your hair, I'll tell you my name." Ahab laughed at the odd request, he was yet to understand females fascination with the thing. "Okay, go ahead." He bent slightly and let her have her desire.

She rubbed the tresses between her fingers for a moment, choosing to speak as she did so. "I am Jezebel, daughter of Ethbaal, princess of Sidon." Then she let go and walked away, leaving Ahab staring after her with a smitten look clear in his face.
***

A story of a villain, gods, and the good in between.
*Image source: Google