Chapter 1: Marco

Saturday January 11th     10:34PM

Marco laid on his bed, looking around his room. It would be the last time he would see it until June, after tomorrow that is. His Winter Break ended tomorrow, so he would have to go back to his dorm room tomorrow afternoon to be prepared. There was a knock at his door, causing him to jump a bit since he was nearly asleep, He sat up and answered with a soft "Come in" as he rubbed his eyes a bit.

It was his mother, Angie Diaz. She was holding a small box in her hand as she left the door cracked open and walked to Marco's bed, sitting down on the edge of it. "I'm sorry your father and I won't be here tomorrow to see you off sweetie. We'll both be at work, you understand right?" She asked, giving his a look with her soft eyes and a small frown on her face. It was obvious that she wasn't happy she couldn't see him tomorrow.

"Yeah mom, its fine." Marco said with a soft smile, trying to make Angie feel a bit better. She smiled and gave him a big hug, the small box resting on his back as her arms went around him. He hugged her back tight and let out a soft sigh, he was sad to have to go back to school, but it was nice to see his parents during his time off school.

As they separated from their hug Angie smiled and sighed. Marco looked down at her hands, still holding the small box and then back up to his mother's face. "Hey mom, what's with the box?" He asked with a confused look on his face. Her face lit up and she smiled a bit bigger "Oooooh! I almost forgot. Your father and I got you a little something for your room!" She handed him the box and watched Marco open it. It was a framed picture of the three of them when he was a Junior in high school. Marco smiled a bit as he looked at the picture, not being fond of the memories of high school, but fond of every memory he has of his parents. He chuckled a bit and set it down on the bed next to him. "I know just the place for it, thanks mom." He hugged her again, this one being much shorter than the previous hug.

"Well, we should both get to bed, we both have big days tomorrow." Angie said as she got up, walking toward the door. "There's a box of cookies for you to take with you tomorrow, make them last a bit this time huh?" She said jokingly as she glanced back at Marco as she opened the door. "Ha ha, definitely. I'll make them last." Angie smiled as she started closing the door "Goodnight, Can't wait until you get to visit again." "Goodnight. I'll call tomorrow night after I'm back in my dorm." Angie nodded and closed the door, Marco let out a deep breath and laid back again, checking his phone before plugging it in, setting the photo on his backpack under his bed and then turning the light off, getting into bed and falling asleep.