Chapter 5: "Sorry"

Sunday January 12th 7:47PM

     "Okay okay. Don't panic. Just.... Let her kiss you, then she can't get mad." Was all Marco could think before Star's lips touched his, he had expected it to just end as soon as it started. But as soon as their lips touched, it felt like nothing he had ever experienced before. He slowly closed his eyes, putting his hands onto her waist, pulling her to him. Star quickly wrapped her arms around his neck, smiling into their kiss and blushed a bright red as their bodies touched. After what felt like eternity, Star realized what was happening, her eyes shot open and she pulled away, looking up at Marco, unable to speak. She cleared her throat and tucked her hair back behind her ear, still blushing a bright red. "I.. I.. I'm sorry. I just thou-" Marco interrupted her, smiling softly as his cheeks matched his red hoodie. "It's fine.... we've both been drinking, just... We can just pretend it didn't happen."

     "Does he regret kissing me? He didn't seem like he didn't want to..." Star bit her lip and nodded. "Yeah... Ummmm... Goodnight!" She hadn't meant to yell, but it came out nearly as a scream. Without giving Marco a chance to say anything, she ran into her room, closing the door and silently locking it. Marco stood there for a moment, not sure what had just happened and softly answered. "Goodnight Star." And with that he walked down the hall back to his room, where Janna would most likely question why he was gone so long.

     "What the HELL is wrong with you!? You freaked him out! You might have just ruined the ONE friend you could have had in this whole school!" Star scolded herself as she flopped onto her bed, stuffing her face into her pillow and screamed, nothing came out since it was muffled by her pillow. She rolled over onto her back and groaned out loud. "But.... it felt soooooooo nice to kiss him. And the feeling of his hands on me... The warmth of his body, and the way his sweater smells....... NO! You can't think of him like that. You just met him and he is your FRIEND! Nothing more." Star's eyes began to fail her, she mumbled to herself as she fell asleep. "Just a friend........ Just a friend...... Just...." And she was asleep.

     Marco stopped at his door, not knowing how to explain what happened to himself, or even worse.... to Janna. "Did she not mean to kiss me? I mean... obviously she did, she's the one who kissed me. But... maybe she regrets it? She was red as a beet. Did I just make things between us weird by kissing her?" "UGH!" Marco groaned as he opened his door, seeing Janna on the couch on her phone, just as she was when he had left. "What took so long, did 'New Girl' suck your face so much you forgot about me again?" Janna asked teasingly, Marco didn't know what to say, blushing softly and he cleared his throat. "Wh-What makes you think... that happened?" He asked walking to the kitchen, getting a glass of water, Janna sat up and watched him, seeing his face was red. "Oh. My.GOD! You did kiss her didn't you!? You sly dog you! Tell me about it, what did she taste like? Did you tongue her?" Janna asked nearly laughing at her words. "Shut up Janna. To make it clear, SHE kissed me, So I'm not the 'Sly Dog' you may think I am. I had no idea she wanted to kiss me until her lips were on mine. And no, I didn't tongue her, it wasn't that long of a kiss." Janna jumped onto her knees, resting her arms on the back of the couch, looking at Marco. "So then.... You two did kiss... but it was short? Do you regret doing it?" She asked as she rested her face on her hand, giving Marco a smirk. "Yes? No? I.... I just met her, I only know her first name..... I mean when we kissed, it felt like.... I can't even describe it, but it was amazing. Then she freaked out and slammed her door in my face." Marco looked down at his shoes, still trying to figure out what that must mean." Janna yawned, stretching a bit. "It sounds like she was embarrassed that she was drunk enough to kiss you. Maybe she just freaked out and didn't know what to say?" Janna shrugged, standing and getting her coat, walking to Marco and giving him their 'Best Friend Handshake' "But....... I'm gonna head to my room, I'll see you tomorrow in class, yeah?" Marco nodded and walked with her to the door. "Yeah, see you in the morning." Marco closed the door behind Janna and turned off most of the lights in his room, leaving the one next to his bed on and he prepared to go to sleep, hanging his hoodie on the edge of his bed. He shut off the light and closed his eyes, but all he could think of was Star's face.... And her hair.... and the taste of her cherry lip gloss. He opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling, mumbling out to himself "Goddamnit."

                                                          Monday January 13th 7:00AM

     Star woke up to her alarm with a pounding headache, holding her head as she headed to the bathroom to prepare for her first day. She brushed her teeth and hair, letting it fall down her back and headed to her closet, searching for the perfect outfit for her first day in college. She browsed for what seemed like ever, choosing a short pink dress, going to her mid thigh, matching it with a pair of pink Converse and a pink headband, her blonde hair now tucked behind both her ears, her purple heart earrings showing bright. "Please don't let today with Marco be weird, just let him have forgotten what happened last night and let it be normal." She said to herself as she grabbed her backpack and her handbag, heading out the door and downstairs to find somewhere to get a quick breakfast before class.

                                                                              7:30AM

     Marco's phone started beeping, telling him it was time to wake up. He groaned loudly and shut his alarm off, getting out of bed and grabbing a pair of jeans, underwear, socks, and a t-shirt from his dresser, heading to the bathroom for a quick shower. He finished up, brushed his teeth and hair and shaved, stopping and staring at himself in the mirror. "Don't be weird with Star today. Just be normal, last night didn't happen and everything is cool." He sighed and went back to the main room, putting his shoes and his hoodie on, sliding his phone and wallet into his pockets and was out the door. He got to the lobby of his building and saw Janna in the line for the coffee stand, he joined her in the line and yawned. "How'd you sleep last night?" he asked still half asleep. "Just fine, I'm perfectly rested and ready for another semester at this hell-hole. What about you?" Janna asked sounding a bit concerned, seeing the dark circles under Marco's eyes. "Like shit, I couldn't stop thinking about..." He stopped, realizing he was now in public, "about Star kissing me last night.... after you left I couldn't stop thinking about her." He whispered to her, Janna just chuckled and nudged him. "Somebody's got the hots for the new girl" she teased. "Do I really have a crush on Star? Already? I mean.... she is cute.. and obviously has a good head on her shoulders... and those eyes.... I could stare at them all day....." Marco realized he and Janna were next in line, they ordered their coffee and after getting their cups, headed to their first class, English. But little did Marco know that he was in for a surprise when he got there.