V

They took her through the maze of the halls until she reached a doorway where the Prince was standing.

"Princess," He greeted and she saw him wave away the guards. Immediately, his shoulders sagged and his face turned into something less constricted.

"Of course I will," Katara said, in regards to his proposition.

"...What?"

"To be...your...isn't that what this is about? I think it's the right thing to do." She said.

"Oh, yeah, that." Zuko turned a little red.

"It's not about that? Then why am I here?" She asked. Zuko opened the door to another garden. He didn't answer, but Katara took it as a sign to go through the door.

"This is my family's personal garden," He said. It was much more personalized than the lady's one. In the corner was a pond, which Zuko went straight for. Katara followed more hesitantly. From his pocket, Zuko unraveled some bread from a linen sack, tore some off, and threw it into the water.

A family of turtle-ducks swam up, happily diving for the bits of bread. Katara couldn't help but make a sound of glee.

"How adorable!" She said, grasping her heavy skirts so she could sit with him.

"My mom used to take me here. It's where I like to go to be alone." He admitted, "I just wanted to make sure that you're okay."

"Me?" Katara's throat went dry. It was such a kind gesture. She was touched since he had no reason to ask if he hadn't wanted to.

"My father was...he is..." Zuko struggled for words. Today, he'd seemed so put together. Now, alone, she realized he was a bit more awkward than she'd expected, "He had no right."

"I've been called worse," Katara admitted.

"By any of the girls here?" Zuko's eyes narrowed.

"Not yet. At least, not to my face." She said.

"Katara, we're safe here. The reporters can see us, but they're not allowed to enter. They can't hear what we're saying. If someone has...I wouldn't want that person as a wife." He said firmly.

Katara looked around and spotted a couple reporters lurking with quills and ink, outside the garden. She smirked to herself, Zuko was very thoughtful about this location.

"Really, they haven't." She felt her mind returning to the girls that were left behind today, "I have to say, I'm a little surprised you were able to just...cut eight off."

Zuko gave her half the bread so she could feed the turtle-ducks too. "My father suggested it. Thirty-five is a lot, and this is more manageable."

"So how did you know what you were looking for? How did you know who to cut?" She asked, genuinely curious.

"Uh, instinct?" Zuko winced, "I'm not sure. I mean, maybe I made a mistake, but it's done now. I guess anyone that seemed too meek I cut. I'm not just looking for a wife, but for a future Fire Lady. Someone who can't handle themselves won't do."

Katara understood why Tapeesa was cut. While she had all the looks on paper, she was a follower, a person beneath the surface. Katara wouldn't have thought of that.

"If we weren't friends," Zuko's lips curled up when she used that word, "Would you have cut me? Be honest." she said.

"No. You're far too powerful to consider cutting," Zuko answered immediately and she did feel it was the truth, not to make her feel better.

"What do you think of Toph?" Katara asked. Toph's blind other self was sure meek. But she was still here...maybe Toph showed him who she really was?