XV

It was def very interesting to hear what your theories were about Dhak's leaving, though, a lot of you thought it was because of a boyfriend back home. Have you all forgotten it's not allowed to be dating others during the competition? If you have, now I've reminded you. If not, do you then think Alcina's a liar because Al is very firm that her sister did not break any rules. Anyway, this 'secret' will be revealed soon, I'm not gunna hold it above the story for like chapters and chapters worth.

--

While there hadn't been trees in the South available for Katara to climb, that didn't mean she wasn't as nimble as a monkey. They had just climbed...nontraditional things, like polar-bear dogs or the abandoned Fire Nation ships. Plus, she was in shape, so hoisting herself onto the awning above the garden was no problem. She'd seen Zuko come through this way, so there had to be a passage back into the main part of the palace via this direction.

Keeping low, she crawled on the roofs of the palace, trying to trace the steps she would be taking below, if she were inside. It was slow going, in fear of being shot off the roof by guards or slipping via her own clumsiness. She wondered how Zuko looked so effortless doing this and made a mental note to ask him later.

When she reached a wall, her fingers began rubbing along the stones. She wasn't sure what compelled her to do this, except for some deep-seated instinct. She was beginning to think she was crazy and that this whole idea was crazy, when one of the stones moved under her. Gently, she was able to ease it from its place, and then three or four more stones came out, leaving a hole. It was tiny, but squeezable, especially for someone as gangly as Zuko. For Katara, it would be even easier.

She poked her head down to see a dimly lit storage area of some sort, a room that was maybe off of the royal kitchens, as it was filled with bags of rice and potatoes and crates of veggies. There was a cabinet just below her, the smooth wood scuffed from footsteps she knew had to be from Zuko.

She wedged herself through the hole and then reached up to re-arrange the stones above her head. Then, she hopped onto the ground, creeping toward the door.

Although it was likely nearing two AM, there were still people bustling around. Mostly the workers, since dignitaries and guests were asleep, but Katara still needed to be careful. Navigating a place she didn't know well and avoiding people the whole time was possibly one of the most testing things she'd ever done. At some moments, she wondered if she should just head back, but she recalled the agony in Zuko's eyes upon hearing what the Equalists had done and this propelled her forward.

She was better than she'd expected at darting behind plants or walls and steadying her breathing. It was like hunting, but reversed. She still employed a lot of hunting techniques though, and thanked her lucky spirits that Sokka had been such a stickler about all those boring hunting and stalking techniques.

She was guessing that the Palace was structured like a larger village. Her and her family's huts were the center of the village, both to be at the center of tribe life and to be the most protected in an attack. The further in she got, the more elaborate the paintings on the walls became. She also recalled Zuko taking her down this way, and she thought the sparring arena might be close to his bedroom.

Eventually, she saw two grand double doors not dissimilar to the ones to the ladies' rooms, but even more ornate than any other doors she'd seen in the palace. Plus, two guards were posted at the entrance wearing the Royal Family's insignia, so she figured this is where the private quarters were.

But how to get in?

She heard voices down the hall and ducked under a tablecloth. Peeking out, she saw a pair of maids coming by with blankets, pillowcases, and bowls. She watched as they went up to the two guards. The doors were opened and one of the guards left with the senior maid to go into the quarters. Katara watched with glee as the younger maid stuck around...and began flirting with the second guard. The second guard, seemingly all too pleased, hastily closed the door behind him, but it was left ajar. And with the doors being as huge as they were, ajar meant a space just wide enough for Katara to slip through.