XVIII

Hey all, so sorry for the lateness of this chapter. I was the MOH in a wedding this weekend, so that basically took up all my time. I was planning on still having this chapter up on time, but then on Sunday night we had a family medical emergency involving my 4-year-old cousin. He's okay now, but I don't really want to say much else on the topic. Because of that, I hadn't been feeling in the spirits to go online and post a chapter, if that makes sense. But, this are looking up, so once again, I'm sorry y'all.

--

"Wake up, wake up!" Aiga threw the curtains open, pulling Katara's sheets from her. "No sleeping anymore today!"

Katara grabbed the blankets, wrestling them back. "Balls are at night," she growled, covering her head.

"It's already afternoon," Aiga pointed out, and Katara sighed, sitting up to huff at her handmaid.

"Fine. You got me there," Katara said, "Can't I be sick again?"

"No!" Aiga shook her head frantically, "Not tonight!"

Katara studied her. Aiga shoved a hot cup of black tea in her fingers and Katara sipped it slowly. "You're chipper."

"Well," Aiga didn't turn from where she was dumping all of Katara's makeup onto the table and making two methodical piles - Katara assumed they were 'things she would be using' and 'things she wouldn't.' "It's such a big event that each of you will have an attendant there with you, in case you need anything."

"Oh. If I don't you, you don't go," Katara surmised. She felt bad, seeing Aiga's ecstatic face. "But don't you want to see your boyfriend again tonight?" she tried one last time.

"All hands are on deck for this event, he's going to be there too," Aiga said. "Katara, I've never been to a ball in my entire life," she breathed out.

"Balls are overrated."

Aiga went on like she didn't hear Katara. "Just think! The food, the music, the dresses...I used to dream about going to balls when I was a little girl."

Katara gave a soft smile, looking down. "I was just being silly, Aiga. Of course I'm going," she said after a moment. Besides, she doubted short of dying, Zhi would excuse her again.

"Great!" Aiga's grin was a thousand suns bright, "This is just going to be the best! And...if you were to excuse me from you for a while...I could, I dunno, see him." She didn't have to specify who 'him' was, Katara knew.

"Well I can't imagine a reason why I'd need you around," Katara rubbed her chin, "So, yeah."

"This is why you're the best Katara. I know some of the other girls are going to drag their handmaid around with them all night, even if they never need a single thing. I guess that's what we're here for, but-"

"It might be the old way, but it's still stupid," Katara agreed. Aiga chuckled.

"Anyway, I'm not wearing anything fancy tonight, but I'm still really happy." Aiga went over to Katara's wardrobe and unhooked a black bag, "You, however...."

She unhooked the cover and slid it off of the dress Shi had made for Katara.

"Wow," Katara couldn't stop the exhalation from escaping her.

"Mhh," Aiga was grinning proudly, even though Katara was pretty sure she had no hand in making this garment. No offence to her, but she was awful with a needle.

"I just, it's not what I thought it would be," Katara admitted after a moment. This much was true. It was entirely unlike anything she would have asked for. It was nothing like her tribal wear, which perhaps should have made her angrier, but she knew that Shi had still kept Katara specifically in mind while making this dress. She couldn't have been angry if she tried.