XXX

Well, we are here. And, for now, that's all I'm going to say. So, read on, my dear ones, as we wrap up book one of A Delicate Subterfuge Series!

--

When Katara woke up, with a splitting headache, she was being carried over someone's shoulder.

"Sokka?" she asked, seeing his distinctive garb. "Put me down! You knocked me out? You asshole!" she screamed, wriggling until Sokka finally set her down. She took a step forward before stumbling, and her brother helped her up. Saltily, she snatched her arm away, sending the traitor a murderous glare.

A moment later, she realized she had no idea where she was.

"Underground bunkers." Toph must have felt her confusion. "Far away from that bullshit up there."

"That's where both of us should be, Toph!" Katara spun. "I cannot believe that you'd run and hide!"

"Katara, listen. What did you do the last time these guys attacked? You went and fought and risked your own life." Sokka grasped Katara's arm hard, a angry undercut to his words. "Did you ever think that a raid like this would be a perfect time for Lord Ozai to kill you and have it look like an accident? That this might all be a set up? That you running in there is exactly what he might want?"

Katara quieted, frowning. Sokka only gave a sigh of relief at her silence.

"Besides," Toph spoke up, "We have something more important to protect down here."

It was in that moment that Katara realized that they were no longer alone. Along the cavern's side wall sat Shoji, Aang, Aiga, and Ty Lee. In an instant, Katara realized who Toph was talking about.

"Aiga, thank Agni," Katara whispered, seeing her handmaid.

"I saw Sokka carrying you over his shoulder and I was so worried." Her handmaid linked her fingers with Katara's. "Thank spirits you're okay!"

"That's yet to be seen." Katara rubbed the back of her head. "Ty Lee?" she asked with question.

"Saw us ushering Kuzon down here. Followed us and I sealed up the door behind us. She's sort of stuck with us for the moment." Toph shrugged.

"I asked if he should maybe be with the Royal Family, but Toph is strangely persistent..." Ty Lee's forehead was creased in confusion.

"We should keep moving," Toph interrupted her. "The bunker itself is close. I can feel it. We'll be safe there until this passes."

Worry unlike anything Katara had ever felt plagued her as they went deeper into the caverns. It was mostly for Zuko, although her thoughts were with the other girls too. She could feel the itch of the full moon underneath her skin, wanting her to use her bending. Alas, she knew that keeping the Avatar safe was their number one priority, so she frustratingly shoved it back down. Maybe, if she was lucky, she could knock the heads of an Equalist or two later on, when most of the action was done. She terribly wanted to be up on the surface, but she also agreed with Sokka's point, which she hadn't even considered; she once told herself she'd been too lax about her safety at the palace, and she had slipped up again. This absolutely would have been the time for something terrible to befall her 'by accident', or with a very convenient villain to blame.

The group moved swiftly through the passage. Aiga hadn't let go of Katara's fingers since she had found her, her whole body shivering like a leaf.

"Worried about Tahoe?" Katara guessed softly, so no one else heard.

"I keep imagining him dead," Aiga admitted. "But you shouldn't worry about the Prince in that way. Likely, no action will ever reach him." Even in her darkest hour, she was trying to comfort Katara.