XIV

The rest of the day seemed out to get Katara, frankly. As she was shoveling sweet rice into her mouth in an effort to hightail it back to her room, Wei entered and announced that the suites would be undergoing a semi-annual cleaning and they wouldn't be allowed back until later that evening. He also informed the ladies tomorrow would be an extremely special and important day, but he was tight-lipped on details.

Thus, every girl turned to Katara to see if she knew anything if Zuko had passed along some information. If Katara couldn't go back to her room to freely and solitarily contemplate the events, she didn't want to have to think about Zuko. And yet, she was forced to say at least three or four times, 'no, I have no idea what it is'.

"She's probably just tired," Andica whispered in Ishwa's ear, "She was back really, really late."

And, in part, Katara was. She'd perhaps only gotten five hours of sleep, which was far more than she got at home, but far less than she was used to here. She was minorly upset she was becoming so acclimated to life in the Fire Nation, as she'd told Zuko yesterday.

And now that she was awake, she also had to consider everything else that happened yesterday. Namely, that airbenders still existed, and that not only was one in the palace, he was also the avatar and sitting right under their noses. It changed everything. There was now, however, a pit of anxiety curling in her stomach. One more person to worry about, to fear frantically for. Aang was the most vulnerable person here. There was no mistaking that he was in enemy waters.

She didn't realize how hard she was thinking until Yue placed a gentle touch on her knee.

"Are you okay?"

"Hmm?"

"You're bouncing like a rabbit on bad mushrooms," Saoirse twittered, "And your expression is like someone going to war." She laughed nervously. In reality, Katara had been considering going to war. How it could change if she had the Avatar on her side, helping to free her people and the other groups. Maybe Zuko would be with them, she'd been wondering.

"Was the date not good?" Eva frowned.

"Oh...no. that was really good." She didn't even have to pretend. Pushing aside it did look like they were romantically involved, she still had a great amount of fun. That reminded her, "If I could get into my room, I have candy for all of you."

"You don't have to share it with us," Yue said.

"I'd be fat if I didn't. Zuko nearly bought out the entire inventory," she snorted.

"Well, would anyone really know," Kilee offered carefully, "if we just snuck in there?" It was the first time Katara had heard her suggest anything against the 'rules'. She wasn't surprised it was for candy.

"Kilee, it's just sweets. You'll last a day," Yue's disapproving voice quieted her. Besides, Katara wouldn't be able to stay in her room, which is what she wanted to do.

She realized her eyes had glazed over again.

"I just have a lot of other problems on my mind," she offered but went no further.

"Is your tribe okay?" Saoirse jumped to the next logical conclusion. Katara pursed her lips.

"For now. It's never been okay there," she admitted. From what she knew of these girls, none were gung-ho for the way of life in their own tribe, so she felt safe with this truth.

"I can't even imagine what you're going through," Eva said, "Maybe Yue can."

"It is hard being from home," Yue agreed, "when we hold such responsibilities on our shoulders." Even if Yue wasn't as active in politics as Katara was, Katara still knew she oversaw other things, such as child birthing and regulations for education. She didn't say it out loud, but if Yue was going to be Fire Lady here she'd have to give that up. Perhaps, she'd pass it along to someone else, have time to teach them. Katara knew she'd be going back and that made her even antsier. In a sense, any problems that arose she'd theoretically have to fix whenever this ended.