XXI

Katara was still entirely tired and wondered if she could manage to get away with sleeping the rest of the day. It was, after all, the day after a very strenuous event. Some of the girls waved at her, but they seemed none too concerned about where she'd been.

She opened her door, yawning, and started shuffling to her bed.

"And just where do you think you've been?"

Katara nearly jumped out of her skin. She turned to see Toph sitting in the corner like a creep, just waiting for her.

"Uhm," Katara blinked, drawing blanks. She was too tired to come up with a convincing lie. Plus, she realized she hadn't asked Aiga the specifics of what she had told others. "I left early this morning."

"Like bull you did," Toph snorted. "Because I tried to be a nice person last night, came to your room with cake, and you were just 'poof'," Toph made an elaborate hand motion, "And so, obviously, I was interested. You just came back," she said. "Aiga may have convinced the rest of those idiots, but not me."

Katara's jaw locked. "Fine. I didn't," she agreed, knowing that denying anything once Toph knew was pretty useless. Katara decided that the best course of action was to not say anything else from here on out to give it away.

"So, where were you last night that could have you coming back so late with your hair like that and-"

Toph's eyes widened. "You were with Zuko. Alone."

Katara would later learn that it was a guess. But it was a damn good one, and she spoke so confidently that Katara would have mistaken it for fact. "What? No." Katara looked away, scoffing and trying to sound convincing.

"Oh, honey. Even if you somehow forgot I know exactly when you're lying, Sokka was right when he told me you were an awful liar. Geeze," Toph said, causing Katara to blush scarlet. She had forgotten about Toph's ability.

"So, you were with Sparky, then. I mean, he's your friend and you share secret shit, so there's that, but why are you so warm, and why is your heart beating so fast?" Toph rubbed her chin, stalking up inches away from her friend. When her face changed this time, there was no denying that Toph had figured it out. "He kissed you. Or you kissed him. Bottom line, smooching happened."

"Just one!" Katara snapped, in keeping with their promise to hide the horrible first kiss. And their second kiss after. A girl had to have some secrets.

"Woah," Toph said but after a second, she frowned. "Spirits," she muttered, half angry and half disappointed.

"What?" Katara asked, dropping her defensive crossed arms to her sides.

"Well, it's real then," Toph mumbled, "You like him."

"I...well, yes." Katara's voice was soft. Toph continued to pace.

"Arg, you had to ruin it, Sweetness!" Toph sounded almost distraught. "We were in this together, you know? Two badass girls out to fight against stupid things like love. We were the ones not in this for the prince and now you're just like the rest of them." She scowled, looking deeply betrayed.

"I'm not like the 'other girls'," Katara said, taking offense to her tone, "Just because I think I like Zuko does not mean I'm here to win this." She said. After a moment, she was offended for the other girls, "And so what if they're here for love? That's the entire reason they're meant to be here! You look me in the eye and tell me that you don't think that someone like On Ji or Yue or Suki wouldn't genuine love Zuko and make a good Fire Lady?" She said, holding her gaze with Toph, who although could not see, felt the pressure of her disapproving stare.