III

Xavier:

I made quick strides past the next few rooms, and before I could even get into the room where they're probably doing a few tests on Sukie, she's wheeled out on her stretcher, her eyes droopy, but her chest heaving in the fresh air from her oxygen mask.

I quickly step next to her, walking back towards her room. "Sukie Lieso." I say testing the name out.

Her head lolls to the side and she watches me wearily at the sound of her name.

"Your father is waiting for you in your room." I inform her. She lets her eyes close and I take that as a thank you from her.

I turn to one of the guys pushing her across the room. "Where's Dr. Kessler?"

"Might be getting coffee." One pipes in, "She just finished with a patient."

I nod, thanking them and slipped away to head towards the break room.

I spot Dr. Kessler immediately, her brown hair in a messy bun.

"You know, as a doctor you should also think about your own health." I say coming up behind her.

"Here. Coffee" She says pressing a cup into my hand.

"Thanks." I say watching her closely.

She pushes her glasses up her nose as it starts to slide down her face. She looks up from her pot of coffee.

"What do you need, hon?" She asks smiling, her eyes tired.

"Evan." I state plainly.

"Aww. Is he bullying you again?" She jokes, pinching my cheeks. I swat her hand away, rolling my eyes.

"No. He refuses to follow my orders."

"He's just jealous that he's not the head of your team."

"I don't want him on my team."

"Fine" She says exasperated. "I'll see what I can do."

"Thanks." I say tapping my cup against hers, and then I head back out.

Maybe it was because I had free time, maybe it was because I drank enough coffee in my college life, but I found myself handing the cup to Cal. He took it graciously, and his eyes were settled fondly on his sleeping daughter.

"Thanks" he says behind his cup.

He leans back in his chair, his copper, light brown hair falling into his eyes slightly.

"You were right." He sighs.

"Hm?"

"Sukie is okay."

"Of course."

Cal sighs again, and he closes his eyes briefly.

"Are you staying here tonight?" I ask then

He nods, his eyes still closed. I notice that his jacket is bunched up behind his head, a makeshift pillow.

"I'll be back." I say, but Cal doesn't seem to hear me. I slip out quietly, going down the hall to the room where we keep all the pillows and heated blankets. I come back, placing them on the foot of the bed, and covering Sukie up with one first.

"I think that's my job as the father."

I ignore Cal, tucking the sides so that the heat doesn't slip away from Sukie. I grab the pillows and extra blanket, handing them over to Cal.

"It's my job to take care of the people here." I state plainly.

"Thanks." Cal says tucking the pillow behind his head in place of his jacket