X

Xavier:

I didn't go to Cal's immediately like I planned to do. I was still reeling from Issac's talk. I didn't have anyone to call, and the only person I wanted to talk to was Cal but that wasn't really an option right then and there.

Instead, I called Sukie. I received her number the day I first became a caretaker for her. It was for contact in case she needed me and I wasn't present.

She picked up after the second ring, catching me by surprise on how fast she was to pick up.

"Um. Hi." I say stupidly.

"What's up?" She asks.

"Your father isn't next to you, is he?"

"No. I'm in my room. You can continue this secret conversations that will stay kept only between us."

I pause. Take a deep breath. "Does your dad ever...umm. Actually I'm not sure how to say this."

"Date?"

I scratch the back of my head. "Um. No. I mean. Does he ever—" I clear my throat. "Has he ever given up on people easily?"

Sukie pauses. "I don't think so. He blames himself for mom, but I wouldn't define that as giving up on someone. He has with his parents, and mom's too. He stopped talking with them, and he refuses to ever rely on them."

"Was it easy for him to cut them out of his life?" I ask quietly.

"Not sure. I'd assume so, they disagreed with Cal's life choices."

"Oh." I say

"Is there a reason why you're asking?"

"I'm just checking."

A pause. "My dad doesn't regret being with you. I can promise you that." Sukie whispers then.

I pause. "I believe you."

I was soon facing the Lieso front door, my courage lacking now, but I give a quick knock.

It opens after a moment, and Cal looks surprised but pleased.

"I thought you bailed on me. It's past noon already."

"Yeah, sorry. I had some errands to run." I say slowly. It wasn't a complete lie. I bought got a few gifts for Christmas and wrapped them in my car after buying wrapping paper from the closest drugstore next to me.

Cal opens the door wider and I step in, trying not to look so stiff. I'd like the anxiety to wear off so he doesn't realize it.

"Merry Christmas Eve." I say stupidly.

Cal grins, giving me a peck on the cheek. "Merry Christmas Eve." He says back. He makes to close to door but I quickly stop him.

"I left some bags in the car. There are some gifts for you and Sukie." I say quietly.

"Wow. Thanks." Cal says surprised, a brightness behind his eyes that tell me he's happy.

He's happy. With me. There's nothing to be worried about. Nothing at all.

"I can get them now." I offer.

Cal shakes his head, "Nah, it's fine. You can come help us prepare for a Christmas movie marathon." He pauses, shrugging. "It's tradition. I guess you're now officially part of it."

I swallow hard. I didn't need to know that it was a thing between Sandy, Cal, and Sukie. When Sandy and I were kids we always watched A Charlie Brown Christmas. I wonder if she passed it down to her own family...