XII

Cal:

The bed is empty when I wake up, and the feeling of loneliness floods through me.
Xavier left.

I glance at the clock and it's almost noon.

I slip out of bed and find Sukie in the living room, a cup of coffee in one hand and a bowl of cereal in the other.

"Merry Christmas!" She sings out.

"Merry Christmas." I murmur back.

—————

I call Xavier after we open gifts and eat lunch, but he doesn't pick up.

I debate whether I should call him again, but I don't want to annoy him or seem like I'm some clingy boyfriend who's desperate. I press my lips together.

I can't remember the last time I've ever felt so...different. It's like time is moving too slowly now, everything around you so quiet that you're in a silence that doesn't lose its grip on you. It's like your stuck in a different dimension and everything is either two steps ahead or behind you. You're trapped, and you're not getting out.

—————

"Xavier." I say

The person jumps, spinning around to face me.
"Cal? What are you doing here?" He says, stepping out of the room where a woman lays on the bed.

"I came to see you. To wish you a merry Christmas." I say shrugging, feeling a bit stupid and guilty now that I'm here and he's busy.
"I can um...see you another time. I didn't mean to bother you...I just needed — I just wanted to— I had to..." I fumble over my words then, not sure how to cover up for myself now that I started.

"It's okay." Xavier says smiling softly, taking a step towards me.

I hear a groan behind him and look over his shoulder, the woman clutches her stomach then, her head dropping and eyes squeezed shut in agony.

"Ahhh!" She gasps, her hand going to the sides of her bed, clutching the metal rung tightly.

Xavier blinks once, reaches for a button on the wall and speaks clearly and calmly.
"I need a doctor in room 2 immediately."

I hear footsteps not long after, and the young woman's bed suddenly is unhooked from the wall, the thing now portable to push along the floor.

"Delivering room. Now." The doctor instructs, and two more nurses fly to the girl's side, wheeling her out.

Xavier steps over silently as the woman is carted to the door. He pats her fisted hand thoughtfully. "I'll be there in a moment." He says soothingly.

She nods then, the wild look in her eyes slightly draining, and she takes a deep breath as the nurses push her down the hall.

My eyes trail after them, but a hand is pressed to the slide of my face gently, the fingertips lingering softly like it's looking for solidity, and gently turns my face back to their own.

"Don't watch. That's my job." Xavier whispers.

His fingers retract, and he pulls his hand back slowly, his eyes still locked onto my own.

"How did you know that I was here?"

"I called Issac and Elliot" I admit sheepishly, quietly. "I hope you don't mind. I'm sorry again for bothering you, I should've known that you had an emergency going on..."